Quantcast
What kind of knife you take to a small trou.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of knife you take to a small trou.

What kind of knife you take to a small trou.

My second year of comeptition team is closing in quickly. I would like to run on the table this year, Typically, we use a small locally-grow trout for our seafood course. Does nyone have any suggestions? I would love to learn how to use a deba in this case, but I'm not sure if it isnt' too much for the fish. I have a Wustof boning knive which works well, but is a pain in the arse to maintain a keen edge on. Our school issure Mecer bonring knofe is the last place i want to go, and I feel I made have already ruinged ti's geometry when strugglng to sharpen it Plua the steel flat out suck..

Any suggestion?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    When are you going? I've got a ton of stuff I could send/loan you or PIF you for this. PM me.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Boot camp (five-days straright from 6 a.m to 4 p.m.) starts around August 20t. What type of knives did you have in mind?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Boning knives
    Honesuki
    paring
    petty
    utility
    carbon, stainless, whatever
    -it sounds like you need something small, nimble, and a teeny bit flexy.
    We want you to be on top of your game to represent KKF to the fullest in the competition!
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Wouldn't an ajikiri be good for a small fish?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Ive used a 150mm sabaki bacho on small fish with success.

Ajikiri

First of all - how are you going to process the fish? Trout don't need much more than a wash, gut and remove the gills. I like them whole on the grill, or broiled. They look good with the heads and tails left on and the head has the best meat in it. So in that context a pair of scissors would be perfect. Maybe a tooth brush for washing the cavity better.

Sorry for all the typos in the first two posts, I was nearing REM. Anyways, withing ACF competition, part of the scoring is showing a breakdown of fish that meets their rules/standards. The fish are already gutted. The requirements change on a yearly basis, but last year we were asked to filet the fish, remove pinbones, reserve head and spine as other usable parts (we would scoop out any remnants of usable meat from the spine). This portion of the competition falls within the skills demonstration. Later, in cookery, you use what you can of the fish in your competition dish.. Once we get this year's rules in, I'll post them. Basically what I was asking, is what would be good alternative to a traditional filet knife for a fish of this size? Thanks for the suggestions thus far and I will check out the Ajikiris.

+ Reply to Thread