What kind of knife you take to a small trou.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Power

Reaction score
My second year of comeptition team is closing in quickly. I would like to run on the table this year, Typically, we use a small locally-grow trout for our seafood course. Does nyone have any suggestions? I would love to learn how to use a deba in this case, but I'm not sure if it isnt' too much for the fish. I have a Wustof boning knive which works well, but is a pain in the arse to maintain a keen edge on. Our school issure Mecer bonring knofe is the last place i want to go, and I feel I made have already ruinged ti's geometry when strugglng to sharpen it Plua the steel flat out suck..

Any suggestion?

When are you going? I've got a ton of stuff I could send/loan you or PIF you for this. PM me.

Boot camp (five-days straright from 6 a.m to 4 p.m.) starts around August 20t. What type of knives did you have in mind?

Boning knives
Honesuki
paring
petty
utility
carbon, stainless, whatever
-it sounds like you need something small, nimble, and a teeny bit flexy.
We want you to be on top of your game to represent KKF to the fullest in the competition!

Ive used a 150mm sabaki bacho on small fish with success.

First of all - how are you going to process the fish? Trout don't need much more than a wash, gut and remove the gills. I like them whole on the grill, or broiled. They look good with the heads and tails left on and the head has the best meat in it. So in that context a pair of scissors would be perfect. Maybe a tooth brush for washing the cavity better.

Sorry for all the typos in the first two posts, I was nearing REM. Anyways, withing ACF competition, part of the scoring is showing a breakdown of fish that meets their rules/standards. The fish are already gutted. The requirements change on a yearly basis, but last year we were asked to filet the fish, remove pinbones, reserve head and spine as other usable parts (we would scoop out any remnants of usable meat from the spine). This portion of the competition falls within the skills demonstration. Later, in cookery, you use what you can of the fish in your competition dish.. Once we get this year's rules in, I'll post them. Basically what I was asking, is what would be good alternative to a traditional filet knife for a fish of this size? Thanks for the suggestions thus far and I will check out the Ajikiris.

Having a lot of trout here I was wondering the same. Never went looking tho.

In the case of breaking down already gutted fish with those conditions and again depending on the size a 6" Deba, or a good 150mm Petty would work for you.

I broke down four stripers that averaged 32" ea. with a 165mm Deba for filleting and my Hankotsu for skinning. Compared to these two knives my trusty Rappala fillet knife was "in the way" so to speak.

This exercise did prompt me toorder a longer 210mm Deba for up coming blue fish and mahi season.

Sounds like for the skills portion, we will be breaking down Black Cod. The Cod will be used in the team's classic dish: "Matelote, known as Pochouse." I will likely not be preparing our competition's classic dish (worth the most points in the competitions), but will need to be fluent in fabrication for the skills portion of the competition. I don't know the sprecs of that fab yet, but know it will obviously include filleting. So I'm looking for a knife that fits this role.

On a side note, I will likely be preparting our entree, which we will be featuring duck breast and sausage. (Already have the weapons for that)/

I can post a couple vids on Chatham cod and black sea bass which may be helpful. Being on the east coast black cod is always high priced. I always want it but can't justify the cost.

Back