Quantcast
Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    The Shun Fuji has an acceptable profile, but it is a tall/wide blade.
    Fuji looks okay. Too bad it's hideous and so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    What's the sense of that recurve choil? Do you want an extra-sharp heel? Or is it just poor design?
    I've tried a couple of these and I like it....but I think it would be the very last tiebreaker for me.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Sorry I couldn't find the info on the link. What are they asking for this?

Edit: I also chuckled about this having just seen a thread on the very same topic here:
    The Taiyo’s blade is a traditional Japanese kiritsuki blade

"The Taiyo’s blade is a traditional Japanese kiritsuki blade. Japanese master chefs favor this multi-purpose blade shape and use it in ways similar to the European chef’s knife. The Taiyo’s blade has a cutting core of SG2 “micro carbide” steel. With SG2’s incredibly dense and pure grain structure, it takes and holds a fine edge with unparalleled durability. 160 layers (80 on each side) of Damascus cladding support"

The lols are strong here as well.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I found the Shun Kramer distal taper to be very lacking. I also found the 10" Fuji that I handled to have a rather thick tip for my taste. I think everyone considers Shun to be rather chippy, and not always the easiest to sharpen....

I think the blue steel line was their shot at making a knife we would consider usable.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I know the topic has been debated over and over again, and I'm certainly a novice. But last night I went through a full blown 1200-5000 grit on everything in my kit (not a lot mind you). My Kochi Migaki and Carter 7.2 Sun take so much less time and take such a more keen edge the my Shun 7-inch Asian cooks knife. They make it so I never want to touch that knife, or any VG10 again.

Edit: I will say this Shun 7-inch Asian cooks knife has a great profile (no belly), and hasn't thought about chipping. Now the SG2 Shun Kramer I had...only Lays had more chips.

i sharpened several Shun VG-10 knives, for a friend, the other day. they took about 5 minutes each, to go from crap to de-burred, easy shaving sharpness. Shapton Pro 320 to 1k Chosera to 8k Gesshin to strop, each knife. there is nothing wrong with Shun VG-10, except that which is wrong with stainless steel. if you are getting chips on Shun SG2, then the fault is yours and only yours.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    if you are getting chips on Shun SG2, then the fault is yours and only yours.
    No I don't doubt you for a second on that. That was well before culinary school and my time here. I beat the living heck out of that knife, both on the board and on a steel (didn't even know what stones were at the time). In regards to the VG10, it's more than likely a sign of my inexperience. But point being that the premium carbon knives were much more easier to sharpen for someone of my skill.

Anyways, back to topic of the bling Shun. What is Flavor Flav going to have to shell out to get this stud?

I would be highly suspect of the edge if you think that carbon is that much easier to sharpen. all knives need basically the same things. i bet you've produced a wire edge on the carbon knives. persistent wire edges are what i produced on carbon knives, for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I would be highly suspect of the edge if you think that carbon is that much easier to sharpen. all knives need basically the same things. i bet you've produced a wire edge on the carbon knives. persistent wire edges are what i produced on carbon knives, for a long time.
    Appreciate the advice. I'm assuming I'll know this if my carbon blades go dull after very little use, as the wire edge will have broken off?

Again apologies to everyone for the sub-topic but I always like knowledge.

Edit: I should also note, the Cater and Kochi wer apporixmately nine and six weeks off a a Jonathan Broida sharpening, respecively, where as the Shun has always been handled by me with it's OOTB edge.

+ Reply to Thread