Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

I see so many shuns being used in professional kitchens. I would say 90% of them are dull, chipped, missing their tips, neglected, and people still think they are just plain awesome. I definitely do not agree, and I think shuns are terrible. But that is my personal opinion and I believe if you feel like you have found something that you truly like in a shun or anything else you should just continue to enjoy it and screw whatever anyone else thinks or says.

I would never buy a shun though. That is my advice. They are like a western gimmick of a japanese knife and most people who use german knives don't realize that it takes so much more effort to care for a japanese knife. So what happens in the end is they are chipped/damaged and people think that the knife is to blame.

I'm fairly certain that if I bought a shun and took care of it, the knife would always be sharp and in great condition. That still does not mean that I would enjoy using their terrible shapes and designs and faux damascus crap.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have a shun in my knife roll right now. Its a bread knife and its a loaf in itself.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

I agree Shun leans on that faux Damascus concept way too much but there are dozens of Japanese makers doing the same thing these days. It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't all using the same source for their blade blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mast3quila View Post

Nice collection, and nice board.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Nice collection, and nice board.
    whoa, i didn't notice how nice that board was until now! sweet!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

i dont know about you guys, but i got a really good chuckle reading through this thread, thumbs up for entertainment!

anybody use their fuji gyuto? those are actually pretty cool and are tanaka r2 price range. i would never go for it, but interesting at least.

it really gets on my nerves when people talk smack about PBR. ive been drinking that stuff forever mainly because it goes great with the hot sweaty humid climate in Louisiana. In a blind taste test i promise you, Pabst will smoke busch, blue bull, and high life.Really, its too damn cheap to be "hip".

i like corona light in the summer, pbr is too gross which is funny because regular corona is pretty gross too yet dont mind the lite. out of all the cheap beers, theyre all crappy tasting if you ask me, but i prefer rolling rock of the bunch.

if you throw your beer budget out the window i think amstel light is the best right? no panda, if the PBR doesnt taste right to you, its probably not cold enough. the trick is you have to put them in the freezer first thing when you get home from another long hard double at work. On a hot, triple digit, summer afternoon a man will crave strange things, for me its PBR . But i quit drinking a month ago anyway so really im speaking in jest. alcohol got in the way of my knife addiction. also, flavor flav probably wouldnt use this knife, i kinda imagined him being more of a cutco kind of guy.

you're right! i dont mind coors light when it's literally ice cold and i can recall chugging down a pibber when taken fresh out of the freezer on a hot day and going 'ahhhhhhh that was refreshing'. on the really brutal hot days after work what i crave most is a cold shower whilst chugging cold beer, lol.

flavaflav, i imagine would just use gold cladded faberware or kitchenaid, as long as its covered in gold!

Nothing wrong with an ice cold PBR on a hot day, but if you live in Louisiana and want a really good light crisp beer, try an Abita Restoration Pale Ale or even an Abita Light. As for the Shun, it may or may not be a fantastic knife, but even if it is I personally would prefer an equally fantastic knife from a company that places a higher priority on craftsmanship than marketing.