Quantcast
Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

Mmmmmm ice cold PBR..... How appropriate as we discuss the escalating bling that they put this out. Maybe they will use gold next year for flavor flav!

Hoshi - at least it has a high carbon core. Interesting. I don't dig the profile though. Copper damascus?

I wouldn't buy it, but there are some things I like about the knife above. I like that profile for a smaller knife, but it needs a nimble pointy tip, that looks like the safety tip that you see on Japanese children's knives.

The handle looks good, I like the pin design, although with full tang i fear it would too handle heavy.

Copper damascus sounds wrong, but what worries me is the "durable clear coating (to) protect copper from discolouration." What on earth could that be?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i dont know about you guys, but i got a really good chuckle reading through this thread, thumbs up for entertainment!

anybody use their fuji gyuto? those are actually pretty cool and are tanaka r2 price range. i would never go for it, but interesting at least.
    The Fuji chef's is a nice gyuto. Hefty but well balanced and tall at the heel which I like. Great handle. Average thickness blade. It's not a laser. My Tanaka R2 wa-gyuto is a LASER. It is so thin at the spine that you would think it was a mono-steel blade. It may just be my particular specimen. I asked Frank to send me his thinnest. I'm actually scared to slam it down on the board repeatedly but so far, no chips. It will dig into my cutting board. I guess the end-grain board does its job here.

After a bit of reading, copper in damascus isn't really rare, but this is the only kitchen knife i can find it in.

Takeshi Saji uses it with amazing effect in kiridashi.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    it really gets on my nerves when people talk smack about PBR. ive been drinking that stuff forever mainly because it goes great with the hot sweaty humid climate in Louisiana. In a blind taste test i promise you, Pabst will smoke busch, blue bull, and high life.Really, its too damn cheap to be "hip".
    That's why the hipsters drink it. (Hip and Hipster are two completely different things altogether.) It's why they tool around on fixies and chop with Shirogami #1 single bevel knives.

It's the essence of things and the disassociation with any type of marketing/advertising that the hipster embraces.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3294536.html

with the exception of chopping with a single bevel knife, hipsters sound pretty alright to me. choosing a product thats inexpensive and doesnt do the typical cheezy advertising associated with major beer companies sounds pretty logical. why all the anti hipster sentiment? Futhermore, when did Jknife anything become a part of hipsterism?

Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    That's why the hipsters drink it. (Hip and Hipster are two completely different things altogether.) It's why they tool around on fixies and chop with Shirogami #1 single bevel knives.
    You do sound like Cartman from South Park: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!
    Who tools where?
    Now, please remind me, what was/is wrong with chopping with Shirogami #1 SB knives? And why does that require being a hip(ster)?

oh, right he could mean a usuba or something else. i thought for some reason he was talking about a deba or yanagiba.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    with the exception of chopping with a single bevel knife, hipsters sound pretty alright to me. choosing a product thats inexpensive and doesnt do the typical cheezy advertising associated with major beer companies sounds pretty logical. why all the anti hipster sentiment? Futhermore, when did Jknife anything become a part of hipsterism?
    Because they are smelly, have tats, wear skinny jeans, take their dogs to the bar and don't know how to shave properly. Completely asexual, apathetic sub-humans who only think that they are cool because they avoid all things cool but in the process have created their own sub-culture of quasi-cool. Plus they don't observe proper rules of the road when they are riding around on their Shiro #1 bicycle equivalents. Freaking dirty hipsters. I remember hearing that 70-something percent of normal people loathe hipsters.

And the Shiro #1 cutters are simply a sub-class of the hipster movement/culture. I'm sure that if we had a "People of the KKF" pic thread, the vast majority would be shown to be wearing knit caps, skin tight Chef Wear pants with the label removed held up with an old shoe string tied about the waist and their single Shiro#1 usuba wrapped in a old kitchen towel stuffed in their canvas backpack peddling to their kitchens on a flat black spray painted fixie bike as the wind blew threw their unkept, scraggly beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    You do sound like Cartman from South Park: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!
    Who tools where?
    Now, please remind me, what was/is wrong with chopping with Shirogami #1 SB knives? And why does that require being a hip(ster)?

Less literal, more figurative.

+ Reply to Thread