Quantcast
Takeda: not impressed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda: not impressed

Takeda: not impressed

A few weeks ago I showed my hubby a Takeda I was eyeballing, not expecting to get one anytime soon. Well, guess what showed up on my door this week. Yep, the very one I was looking at AND he even got it in the perfect length for me. It was love at first sight and the hubs got a big thank you

Today after using it however, the love has evaporated. I had to force it through a stalk of celery and it didn't even cut through my mushrooms all the way. So now I'm wondering what all the hype is over? It's a very costly knife and I can't exactly send it back so, is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty bummed

how does it look behind the edge? this thread may be helpful: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ld-(pic-heavy)

If you can't return it to the retailer, perhaps an email to the manufacturer might help?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I've never been a fan of Takeda's.

Off topic, but i'm at USAFA and will be going to CA next. You AD or the hubby?
    Jason

no experience with Takeda, but when I tried to cut tomato with my newly acquired Shigefusa it was a big disappointment. It didn't cut at all. But things changed dramatically when I sharpened it. So it might be the case of non optimal OOTB edge on your Takeda…

Here's a pic. Best I could do on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I've never been a fan of Takeda's.

Off topic, but i'm at USAFA and will be going to CA next. You AD or the hubby?
    Which base? If its here at Edwards, I'm sorry lol

Hubby is AD, 3 more years until his 20

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    no experience with Takeda, but when I tried to cut tomato with my newly acquired Shigefusa it was a big disappointment. It didn't cut at all. But things changed dramatically when I sharpened it. So it might be the case of non optimal OOTB edge on your Takeda…
    I was thinking that too but I don't know how to sharpen yet. I've got the stones, just haven't had time with 2 little ones that seem to be at each others throats constantly. I'm kind of afraid to try it on a $330 knife

That must be the new grind. I kept hearing how thin behind edge they were and bought one from BST not long ago just to try it. When I inspected the knife the blade was thin , it took a good edge on stones but it was really thick behind the edge after cm or so where kuro uchi started. It was wedging more than kato, yoshikane or kochi workhorse gyutos. I didn't enjoy the rustic finish either . Being used it was cheaper than brand new but with the price tag and amount of work it required I wouldn't be happy as the first owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    Here's a pic. Best I could do on my phone

Looking at this shot I'm afraid it's not the edge but thickness that makes you applying more force in order to cut.

+ Reply to Thread