Quantcast
Need help, Converting Misono UX10 to 50/50 double bevel?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help, Converting Misono UX10 to 50/50 double bevel?

Need help, Converting Misono UX10 to 50/50 double bevel?

Hello everyone, I am a newbie of knife sharpening, I got a pretty cheap UX10 150mm petty last month,

How could I sharpening it to a 50/50 bevel ?

And is it possible to sharpen this petty without leaving scratches on the blade?

1. If you sharpen it 50 50 it may not cut as well as it was intended. Steering, wedging etc. Try something like a 60 40. Unless you're one of those accursed lefties. Ewwww.

2. Yes.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    1. If you sharpen it 50 50 it may not cut as well as it was intended. Steering, wedging etc. Try something like a 60 40. Unless you're one of those accursed lefties. Ewwww.

2. Yes.
    1,Unfortunately I am one of those "accursed lefties",haha, what knife of bevel should I choose?

2,How to do that?

To avoid scratches it's pretty simple, just keep the spine ~5mm off the stone. You could sharpen the knife with the same angle and number of passes on each side and soon enough the edge will be 50/50. The problem is that the grind on the face isn't 50/50 and you can't change that easily.

The good news is that the steering issues aren't that critical with a petty. It's nimble and narrow.
    The bad news is, that you should start by thinning the left face at some 7-10mm from the edge. Thinning means scratching. You'll have to rework the finish on the entire face to get an acceptable result, and the other face as well. It can easily be performed with different grits of sandpaper.
    Perhaps you should consider to send it out to a good sharpener. In the US, Dave or Jon, in Europe Maxime in Denmark or Schanz in Germany.

I'm a lefty and feel that a complete overhaul on a petty is overkill.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I cut both left and right. The only time I have ever had any trouble cutting left with a Japanese double bevel knife is when I tried to do exactly what you are talking about - 'converting' for lefty. Dave Martell will tell you (and has written on this site) that the only proper way to sharpen a knife is in respect to the overall blade geometry. I've found this to be extremely accurate. If you sharpen your edge contrary to what the rest of the knife is going to give you then you're asking for trouble. Most knives are so thin and with most not being highly asymmetrical the concern is almost moot. I'm curious to know what issues are you having when cutting left with it?

With a given geometry Dave's advise to follow it is certainly the best. The OP's question though, as I understand it, is how to change that very geometry so that it's more appropriate to a left-handed.
    The Misonos are strongly right-biased. Left face flat, right face convexed. Edge strongly off-centered to the left.
    How would you think about the following practical approach? Sharpen the left face at 10 degree until you form a burr. This may take some time. Deburr at 20 degree on the right side. Thin the left side by sharpening at 5 degree til you almost reach the very edge.
    The edge will get recentered, the left face somewhat convexed, the right one flattened.
    Your thoughts please.

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread