Quantcast
Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

Has anybody seen Shuns New bling blade? I came across this last night while doing a little surfing. Looked further into it and found that it won Blade magazine's knife of the year 2012. I'm sure this means something to somebody(s), and I'm guessing Mr Ken Onion was a little disappointed.
    I'm curious though. After seeing the accolade, the price and the limited production number of 300 I started to think... What if shun actually "got it right"? Aside from the over-the-top "Damascus", would you be turned on by a high performer limited production from your home boy Shun?
    I have 3 shun Fuji and liked them all. I collect with great curiosity (within a certain price range) and these 3 found a spot in my collection. I would never pay full price for them, but I would recommend them as a solid performer. Take it or leave it. That said, I am not considering buying this new one, but would love to put it through its paces to see how it performed. The handle shape and its "twist" does have me a little curious...

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/press/the-...fe-of-the-year

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Nope, no offense Marc.
    But it's got no soul. If I was a robot, or even had a robot arm, I might consider it.
    It's the Bud Light of expensive knife brands.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Believe they stole the twist handle from MCusta.

I'd rather see a very plain Shun with good profile, good taper, good heat treat, good steal, etc...

This is like lipstick on a pig....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I think lipstick on a pig is the perfect description. Lots of bling going on there. Reminds me of the trash that I catch my wife watching - real house wives.

And No offense taken. I was just pontificating over the possibility of Shun actually nailing a knife that would hit on many of the high performance requirements we consider mandatory. I'm not saying that this knife in particular is it. No, not by a long shot. Just think it was kind of entertaining that this one is a limited production of "only" 300, quite expensive and picked out of who-knows-what to win blade magazine's high praise.
    For many of us Shun was what I call the white Zin of knives. A gateway knife to a much better world of knives and makers.

The Bling is strong with this one . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Believe they stole the twist handle from MCusta.

I'd rather see a very plain Shun with good profile, good taper, good heat treat, good steal, etc...

This is like lipstick on a pig....
    i would just like to see the basic Shun chef knife with a good profile. They already have acceptable steel and heat treat, and every of the 8 and 10 inch Shun chef knives i've handled has had a perfectly acceptable distal taper and geometry, but the profile is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    The Bling is strong with this one . . .

What's the sense of that recurve choil? Do you want an extra-sharp heel? Or is it just poor design?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i would just like to see the basic Shun chef knife with a good profile. They already have acceptable steel and heat treat, and every of the 8 and 10 inch Shun chef knives i've handled has had a perfectly acceptable distal taper and geometry, but the profile is the problem.
    The Shun Fuji has an acceptable profile, but it is a tall/wide blade.

The Shun Taiyo must be aimed at the mass market. Bling aside, who wants to pay that much for a 8 inch blade? I want my 10 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    What's the sense of that recurve choil? Do you want an extra-sharp heel? Or is it just poor design?
    that detail matters zero percent.