Quantcast
Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

  1. #21
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    Appreciate the advice. I'm assuming I'll now this if my carbon blades go dull after very little use, as the wire edge will have broken off?
    that is the wire edge collapsing, unless you are cutting something really acidic (like a mango soaked in 18m hydrochloric acid). try running the edge of the knife against the edge of your cutting board, after your final stone, then polishing again. i bet you'll notice a dark line appear on the edge of the cutting board, and your knife edge will last longer.

  2. #22

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    mango soaked in 18m hydrochloric acid
    Better drop the mango with one hand and start cutting with the other.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  3. #23
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Better drop the mango with one hand and start cutting with the other.
    if you have such a thing, i'd suggest not cutting it.

  4. #24
    No more bling than the vast majority of over-the-top custom handles or damascus work you see on a lot of knives around here.

    Actually, at least to me, the color scheme is quite balanced on the Taiyo. It's better than seeing five differing colors/materials on a slim octagonal handle mod up.

    The problem seems to lie in the fact that Shun produced it and that means it's going to be immediately discounted by the carbon knife hipster noobs who, upon discovering that such knives exist, think that the only decent knife is made by some 93 year old withered Takefu forge master in a slag dust covered kimono who's arthritic, burnt fingers are only able to shape three knives a year that have the fit/finish/look like they were hammered and ground by a chimpanzee on shrooms.

    I've had several Shun's (and other knives that use VG-10) for quite a while now and use them almost daily in a high volume production kitchen (along with various carbon steels). Never had a problem with putting a hair shaving sharp edge on them and have never had a chip on any of them.

  5. #25
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    No more bling than the vast majority of over-the-top custom handles or damascus work you see on a lot of knives around here.

    Actually, at least to me, the color scheme is quite balanced on the Taiyo. It's better than seeing five differing colors/materials on a slim octagonal handle mod up.

    The problem seems to lie in the fact that Shun produced it and that means it's going to be immediately discounted by the carbon knife hipster noobs who, upon discovering that such knives exist, think that the only decent knife is made by some 93 year old withered Takefu forge master in a slag dust covered kimono who's arthritic, burnt fingers are only able to shape three knives a year that have the fit/finish/look like they were hammered and ground by a chimpanzee on shrooms.

    I've had several Shun's (and other knives that use VG-10) for quite a while now and use them almost daily in a high volume production kitchen (along with various carbon steels). Never had a problem with putting a hair shaving sharp edge on them and have never had a chip on any of them.
    congratulations, you've produced a reply far dumber than those you apparently don't like ever could have.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    The problem seems to lie in the fact that Shun produced it and that means it's going to be immediately discounted by the carbon knife hipster noobs who, upon discovering that such knives exist, think that the only decent knife is made by some 93 year old withered Takefu forge master in a slag dust covered kimono who's arthritic, burnt fingers are only able to shape three knives a year that have the fit/finish/look like they were hammered and ground by a chimpanzee on shrooms.
    This paragraph made me laugh! Saccogoo, you're way off in my opinion but I love your imagery in that paragraph.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  7. #27
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    This paragraph made me laugh! Saccogoo, you're way off in my opinion but I love your imagery in that paragraph.
    good thing he's totally wrong, otherwise Maxim wouldn't have many Shigefusa emails to send out.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    congratulations, you've produced a reply far dumber than those you apparently don't like ever could have.
    I seriously doubt it considering that we've already had someone mention Flavor Flav in this thread.

  9. #29
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    No more bling than the vast majority of over-the-top custom handles or damascus work you see on a lot of knives around here.

    Actually, at least to me, the color scheme is quite balanced on the Taiyo. It's better than seeing five differing colors/materials on a slim octagonal handle mod up.

    The problem seems to lie in the fact that Shun produced it and that means it's going to be immediately discounted by the carbon knife hipster noobs who, upon discovering that such knives exist, think that the only decent knife is made by some 93 year old withered Takefu forge master in a slag dust covered kimono who's arthritic, burnt fingers are only able to shape three knives a year that have the fit/finish/look like they were hammered and ground by a chimpanzee on shrooms.

    I've had several Shun's (and other knives that use VG-10) for quite a while now and use them almost daily in a high volume production kitchen (along with various carbon steels). Never had a problem with putting a hair shaving sharp edge on them and have never had a chip on any of them.

    You have described no one here.

    The reason most here don't like shun is the belly on the gyuto and the over hyping marketing speak. They're selling to a different market than us, the people who know about knives. I've used them but for sure there are much better values for the dollar.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  10. #30
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    I seriously doubt it considering that we've already had someone mention Flavor Flav in this thread.
    i'm sorry you're developmentally disabled. do you find it to be a major problem in your life, or do you live in a really stupid place where it's okay?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •