Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

  1. #71
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,330
    I tried, but I can't take you seriously. Even if half the stuff you just listed was actually a real thing, it's certainly not something worth hating, life is too short for that. I've seen much worst happen in popular culture.

  2. #72
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    Because they are smelly, have tats, wear skinny jeans, take their dogs to the bar and don't know how to shave properly. Completely asexual, apathetic sub-humans who only think that they are cool because they avoid all things cool but in the process have created their own sub-culture of quasi-cool. Plus they don't observe proper rules of the road when they are riding around on their Shiro #1 bicycle equivalents. Freaking dirty hipsters. I remember hearing that 70-something percent of normal people loathe hipsters.

    And the Shiro #1 cutters are simply a sub-class of the hipster movement/culture. I'm sure that if we had a "People of the KKF" pic thread, the vast majority would be shown to be wearing knit caps, skin tight Chef Wear pants with the label removed held up with an old shoe string tied about the waist and their single Shiro#1 usuba wrapped in a old kitchen towel stuffed in their canvas backpack peddling to their kitchens on a flat black spray painted fixie bike as the wind blew threw their unkept, scraggly beard.

    Less literal, more figurative.
    Are you 80 years old?

  3. #73

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,479
    Doing something because its uncool is just a different way of letting the herd tell you how to live. Be real, genuine, and authentically you. F the herd...except When they're right.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    Because they are smelly, have tats, wear skinny jeans, take their dogs to the bar and don't know how to shave properly. Completely asexual, apathetic sub-humans who only think that they are cool because they avoid all things cool but in the process have created their own sub-culture of quasi-cool.
    Cartman again: Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. Same, but shorter...

    Quote Originally Posted by Saccogoo View Post
    And the Shiro #1 cutters are simply a sub-class of the hipster movement/culture. I'm sure that if we had a "People of the KKF" pic thread, the vast majority would be shown to be wearing knit caps, skin tight Chef Wear pants with the label removed held up with an old shoe string tied about the waist and their single Shiro#1 usuba wrapped in a old kitchen towel stuffed in their canvas backpack peddling to their kitchens on a flat black spray painted fixie bike as the wind blew threw their unkept, scraggly beard.
    Alright Cartman, slow down a bit. For one, you never actually explained what is wrong with Shiro #1 or cutting with it. Indulge us?

    Second, you did "dish it out"(in your own terminology) to half a dozen individual members, Japanese knife makers, and now to most of the forum members as well. Seriously? Are you really that pretentious or something else is irritating you? Hippies?
    You are making awful lot of assumptions and nobody knows based on what. Either way, if KKF is so bad, what are you doing here anyway, trying to fix everything and everyone or just venting your frustrations?

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I tried, but I can't take you seriously.
    Me neither. May be it's all reverse sarcasm wrapped deep in those rants?

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Alright Cartman, slow down a bit. For one, you never actually explained what is wrong with Shiro #1 or cutting with it. Indulge us?
    Not a thing. In fact, I just finished sharpening the 240 Shiro#1 gyuto that I just received last night and it's hands down the keenest edge I've ever put on a knife. Suminabitch is terrifyingly sharp. I think it forced the five baby house finches in the nest on my back porch to prematurely leave their nest just by it's existence. (A quasi-butterfly effect if you will, but on a much more localized scale.)

    Second, you did "dish it out"(in your own terminology) to half a dozen individual members, Japanese knife makers, and now to most of the forum members as well. Seriously? Are you really that pretentious or something else is irritating you? Hippies?
    You are making awful lot of assumptions and nobody knows based on what. Either way, if KKF is so bad, what are you doing here anyway, trying to fix everything and everyone or just venting your frustrations?
    You were much closer with the Cartman reference than actually trying to do your best Immanuel Kant impression.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Me neither. May be it's all reverse sarcasm wrapped deep in those rants?
    There you go...

  7. #77

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,483
    I disagree with the association of PBR and hipsters.
    Frank Booth wouldn't be caught dead in skinny jeans.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  8. #78
    I don't understand the thing with Pabst. Granted a cold beer is a cold beer sometimes but there is no Pabst brewery just like there is no Olympia, Falstaff, Hamms, Rainier, etc. etc. One fairly unknown corporation bought up the names of dozens of once regional breweries and contracts to have them produced and bottled by the current big guys. They are marketed to nostalgia beer drinkers but they don't necessarily use the same recipe that made the original beer famous.

  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    452
    Back to the original thread. I'm having a hard time imagining that this Taiyo is going to remain a limited production run of 300 knives. I'm thinking that Shun would turn on its marketing machinery and expand this to a line of bling knives. I personally don't have any issues with Shuns. They can be bought at steep discount to the retail price, and at these discounted prices, they are fair value and perform well.

  10. #80
    So I've been in a professional enviornment for a few months now. I can confidently say, that Shun's are pretty worthless here, and chippy as hell. Still good for the home cook, but get this crap out of my kitchen if it does more than 500 a week. Just can't take it. Edipis, sorry to break this to you, but JBroida is right, these just aren't pro-built knives. Never.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •