Quantcast
Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

different strokes for different folks. i know so many good chefs that use shuns. but ironically enough, none of them can sharpen or want to learn to sharpen. Many of them would rather use electric sharpeners for their shuns. it would be nice if the steel was friendlier to rookie knife sharpeners. i still hate deburring those dreaded things.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    different strokes for different folks. i know so many good chefs that use shuns. but ironically enough, none of them can sharpen or want to learn to sharpen. Many of them would rather use electric sharpeners for their shuns. it would be nice if the steel was friendlier to rookie knife sharpeners. i still hate deburring those dreaded things.
    That may be the difference. I sharpen mine. Maybe that's when the chips show up. A coworker uses a Shun, which I have never sharpened. Our head Chef told hm that his knife should he 10s shar[er than it was.

Just re-sharpened mine tonight. I had totally forgot how many chips in had incurred. It get's used a lot because of it's size and i'm not worried about cutting dairy with it because it's my throw away knife. But damn, I hate everything about this little piece of crap. Just riddled with holes on the edge. I'll eat glass before I buy another Shun. The money could be so much better spent with one of the vendors here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    Just re-sharpened mine tonight. I had totally forgot how many chips in had incurred. It get's used a lot because of it's size and i'm not worried about cutting dairy with it because it's my throw away knife. But damn, I hate everything about this little piece of crap. Just riddled with holes on the edge. I'll eat glass before I buy another Shun. The money could be so much better spent with one of the vendors here.
    yeah its not too hard to find a knife of similar price but with better performance and grind. Although I do admit Shun Premiers have pretty decent grinds.

Cannot say this not a funny thread. Don't like the profiles on most Shuns, for the coin you can get better knives. The dishing of the VG-10 steel is overblown though. Chipping for the most part is because of abuse. Deburring, DB side stroke on the stone clean it up with newspaper or cardboard.

Craig is that picture of you running out of PBR beer?

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Craig is that picture of you running out of PBR beer?
    i dunno lately ive been drinking Busch.

Wow, such vitriol. I haven't used the taiyo, but one of my bosses uses a classic santoku and I do not enjoy sharpening it. That is all.

I see a lot of Shun's, Wusties, Henckles, etc...but I am also seeing a little big of stones and some random Japanese knives mixed in there