Quantcast
why gyuto fever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why gyuto fever?

why gyuto fever?

For some reason, in my head I can only justify 1 parer, 1 small petty, 1 large petty, 1 fillet, 1 boner, 1 bread, 1 sujihiki, 1 cimiter, 1 big cleaver, 1 little cleaver.....

but 13 gyuto make perfect sense?

And my logic tells me NOT to stop buying gyutos, rather I need to buy more pettys and sujis.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

It makes sense to me... For 98% it's the most used knife, so we are forever in the search for the perfect one. I have two main crushes (gyuto) and now Im eyeing a third because its semi-stainless (Heiji).

I am sorry Chris, you have been misinformed and are making a big mistake by lumping all gyutos into one category. What you really have is:

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    For some reason, in my head I can only justify 1 parer, 1 small petty, 1 large petty, 1 fillet, 1 boner, 1 bread, 1 sujihiki, 1 cimiter, 1 big cleaver, 1 little cleaver.....

1 small gyuto, 1 small chef knife, 1 smallish gytuo, 1 smallish chef knife, 1 medium gyuto, 1 medium chef knife, 1 237mm gyuto, 1 238 mm gyuto, 1 240 gyuto....you get the picture.
    You are just categorizing wrong. Technically you only have one of each size, I guarantee no gyuto is the exact same length.

Hope this helps.

Ah yes, not only length, I can categorize by weight, handle type, etc...

In that case, I need a 242mm gyuto at around 200 grams or more....

Thanks!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Yup, Kalaeb is correct; you really have a small gyuto then a little bit larger gyuto, then an even larger gyuto, etc..... What you actually have is an infinite series of a special type known as Zeno's dichotomy, which basically says that if you approach an object with each step distance being 1/2 of the previous step distance, you will be able to get infinitely close to your goal but never arrive at it. In this case, with each gyuto you buy, you will get closer to your ultimate goal (gyuto nirvana), but you can never ever reach it even if you continue to buy gyutos forever. I believe that most people on this board are somewhere within this sequence.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

I think there are two main reasons.

1) Gyutos are probably your most commonly used knife, so you can cycle though them more frequently, lessening the feeling that you have too many.

2) They are a multi-duty knife, hence it cannot be perfect at all of its tasks. This sends the user on a journey of gyuto-discovery, with them trying different gyutos, searching for the one which suits their cutting style and personality the best. A gyuto-fingerprint is developed, where each user has a unique fingerprint (consisting of their selection of uses and style).

This leads to no gyuto being 'the one' for more than a small group of people, and many, high performance gyutos of different styles being needed to fill the demand.

you might have a favorite pair of jeans, but you definitely need other pairs or else the favorite ones will get worn out!

Quote Originally Posted by ejd53 View Post
    Yup, Kalaeb is correct; you really have a small gyuto then a little bit larger gyuto, then an even larger gyuto, etc..... What you actually have is an infinite series of a special type known as Zeno's dichotomy, which basically says that if you approach an object with each step distance being 1/2 of the previous step distance, you will be able to get infinitely close to your goal but never arrive at it. In this case, with each gyuto you buy, you will get closer to your ultimate goal (gyuto nirvana), but you can never ever reach it even if you continue to buy gyutos forever. I believe that most people on this board are somewhere within this sequence.
    Excellent analysis from a mathematical-philosophical perspective. I could add mine from a mental health perspective, but I won't

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Excellent analysis from a mathematical-philosophical perspective. I could add mine from a mental health perspective, but I won't

Stefan
    But I will.

The answer to Theory's question on post #148 "Why is that handsome guy holding that sword" http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-thread/page15
    and "why gyuto fever?" are both the same:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theory with sword.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	16572

To compensate for little winkies.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

It's a quandry for sure. I've got an illness and the only core is more gyuto. I tried to alleviate this by ordering a new 210mm Deba. We'll see if it's the fix I need.