Quantcast
Learning how to care for and use single bevels
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning how to care for and use single bevels

Learning how to care for and use single bevels

I just ordered a single bevel funayuki and it will be my first single bevel knife. Obviously I need to learn how to properly use and care for it. What are some good resources for learning about single bevels? I am currently watching the Japanese knife society videos, but there isn't too much instruction in those, just what I observe, and I am also watching the videos that Jon at JKI puts out. While those are both awesome is there anything else worth watching?

Thanks,
    Mike

I guess I will chime in since no one else is.You are in good company wt. Jons playlist,he covers SB sharpening & gives some background.

The Korin DVD by Chiharu Sugai is inexpensive.He also covers SB.Only thing is language,alot is lost in translation.However there is alot of good info. in that DVD if you just watch what he is doing.His tech. is sound.Esp. if you are stepping into SB knives I would reccom. his video.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Dave Martel also has a set of cd's you can purchase for cheap too. That is if he has them back in stock.

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst...ell-p/dvd1.htm
    Chewie's the man.

Close your eyes and use the force...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Thanks guys. That Dave Martel set looks awesome. I'll definitely check those out. I guess I just need to learn Japanese while I'm at it.

For sharpening, just remember that there are two bevels on single bevel knives. This is critical to sharpening them correctly.

Jon's videos are very good about explaining this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZmt...F55079F53216AB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA0vd...F55079F53216AB

Finger placement is critical when sharpening the two bevels. I would also recommend using light consistent pressure when sharpening the upper bevel in order to keep your shinogi line straight.

Also, you will need a higher grit stone for uraoshi sharpening so that you do not grind down the back quickly.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Also, you will need a higher grit stone for uraoshi sharpening so that you do not grind down the back quickly.
    I have a rika 5k that should be high enough, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    I have a rika 5k that should be high enough, shouldn't it?

Not so much. That's a good start for regular touch ups but gong finer and sticking with polishing stones is advised on the back side of single beveled knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Not so much. That's a good start for regular touch ups but gong finer and sticking with polishing stones is advised on the back side of single beveled knives.
    From what I've personally seen, Jon uses a 6k stone. I too use a 6k stone.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

It is good that you are enquiring about SB sharpening it is not that hard,but correct tech. is important.A common mistake is over flattening the uraoshi(hollow ground side of the blade)This changes the geometry of the blade.

I learned to sharpen Yanagiba's fr. Sushi Chefs thats why I like the Korin DVD his sharpening is pretty much the same as I learned it.His English is not that bad & you get the technique after watching it a few times.

+ Reply to Thread