Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pesto

BTW I use the food processor as I don't have time to mess around with the purist mortar & pestle. I want it somewhat coarse for brushing on meats before grilling or mixing in with pasta, the Vitamix liquefies it too much.
    could probably do half of it in the food processor and half on the vitamix to get something in between. =D

I would use a food processor if i have to make a lot. Small quanities made in a mortar and pestle do taste better.

I never blanch as I'm a big fan of raw greens, though I don't disagree with it. I still have some from last year and it's still super green. I do add arugula to the mix for its peppery flavor instead of pepper itself. I also slow roast my garlic in oil and use both the garlic and oil once cooled. Food processor for speed and bulk. Roasted nuts, but only lightly. Always a splash of lemon juice. Usually parmigiano or Grana Padano. Always add a bit of salt in the beginning before adding oil as it helps to dissolve. Then adjust in the end.

Marcella Hazan adds in soften butter at the end??? I am not sure that is necessary but maybe personal taste. The main purpose of blanching is to lock in color, right? I'll try that.

I used m&p last night and I liked the results but wouldn't have the time for larger batches this way.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Blanch and shock your basil guys. I don't care what else you do but blanch and shock your basil. Me, I then use a vita prep but don't baby food it, toasted pine nuts, parmigiano reggiano, extra virgin, a little shot of lemon juice, kosher salt and fresh pepper.
    +1000

I also make my shiso pesto the same way

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    I never blanch as I'm a big fan of raw greens, though I don't disagree with it. I still have some from last year and it's still super green. I do add arugula to the mix for its peppery flavor instead of pepper itself. I also slow roast my garlic in oil and use both the garlic and oil once cooled. Food processor for speed and bulk. Roasted nuts, but only lightly. Always a splash of lemon juice. Usually parmigiano or Grana Padano. Always add a bit of salt in the beginning before adding oil as it helps to dissolve. Then adjust in the end.
    aragula is a very good idea. does it keep its green colour over time?

aside, doesn't roasting the garlic kill the olive oil flavour a bit? you basically make a garlic oil so it might depending on temperature...
    i'm against salt (coulour) and lemon juice because i see pesto as an elaborated ingredient rather than a ready sauce or condiment. personnal preference i guess

great thread here!

aragula is a very good idea. does it keep its green colour over time?
    yes it does. it keeps it's color better than basil.

+1 theory's method (especially toasted pine nuts, but as a topping not in the base itself), and gotta have garlic in it. absolutely, use the food processor in quick pulses.

+1 on theory i blanch my basil to to get it as green as possible and dont forget to salt while processing or blending

+1 on theory i blanch my basil to to get it as green as possible and dont forget to salt while processing or blending