Mother-in-Law knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suisin Inox 240. Not a mother in law... Yet, but as we only make to Pittsburgh every other month or so to visit, it holds up well

A serrated Forschner knife and a polyboard! LOL. But seriously. Anyone who disrespects my knives gets my Forschner Fibrox.

trying to think of ANY reason to buy ANY of my mother in laws a knife. Or a gun.

Mine is here visiting, and is pretty much sticking with an old stainless Henckels steak knife and the wife's ~180 Myabi gyuto. So far we are all happy with the arrangement

Not quite 'mother in law' knives, but I have a couple old crappy stainless chef knives in the drawer for my daughter (19) to use. Luckily she's scared to death of the J-knives :scared4:

Chris

A serrated Forschner knife and a polyboard! LOL. But seriously. Anyone who disrespects my knives gets my Forschner Fibrox.

I dig my Forschner boner and bread knives...

:nunchucks:

Gesshin Ginga stainless chuka. No carbon steel blades for her... * shudder*... and she's used to using Chinese cleavers.

An Icel made Santoku. For my wife, it's a Rodrigue custom...what?!?

A block of Calphalon classic for our counter. German steel made in china. Oh how I would like to replace it but granite counter use + finding one in the dishwasher every now and then keeps me from upgrading. I get my enjoyment from using the coarse Edge Pro stones on them. I bought an ITK bread knife thinking it could replace the Calphalon but frankly I don't want to see it get abused so it hides with my traveling roll of knives.

No mother-in-law knife here, but I do have a $10 china-made henckels in case my just-plain-mother ever comes by.

Saw the MIL using the wife's Myabi on the granite countertop this morning... Two BoardSmith's were within easy reach

I don't understand this. Where in the H E double Hockey Sticks do people get this idea? Chopping boards exist for a reason. This just makes me mad reading this.

When we first got married, I caught my wife doing this with a shun 4" parer that I had just finished polishing a day or two ago. I was sufficiently upset about it that I brought her to a cutlery store and found a knife that she liked, so she'd stop messing with mine. Obviously, being newly wed and not wanting the gates to heaven close, I didn't freak out. I calmly explained to her how much the knives meant to me, and made a comparison that it would be like me dropping her guitars on a concrete floor. She hasn't done it since, which I very much appreciate.

I don't let guests use my knives, they are too sharp. The last guest that used my knives nearly cut a finger off. I warned them "Careful, that knife is probably a lot sharper than you are used to." They decided to test the sharpness on their finger...but they did it wrong and cut most of the way to the bone. I have a beat up 6" cutco santoku I let guests use :)

Lol, deal with it, fix it later and put a smile on your face....it is not worth an argument.

guillotine.jpg

Wustof santoku. Last time the MIL visited, she took a steel wool to my cast iron skillet ...

Wustof santoku. Last time the MIL visited, she took a steel wool to my cast iron skillet ...

Fortunately my MIL cooked with cast-iron she inherited from her grandma, who inherited it from her mother. The thing is probably 80 or 90 years old. She knows how to treat cast iron pans.

Back