Quantcast
Last poster wins! - Page 27
Closed Thread
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Last poster wins!

pppppllllttttt!!!!!!!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Was first at the ITK offering today. I'm a virgin.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    This sounds like a few places I have worked.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/ne...en/118965.html

may have to check it out.
    Chewie's the man.

On another forum someone tried correcting me about the 3 finger test, but I think his post is completely wrong...?

IMO, this is a common miss-application of edge theory, so deserves clarification. However, I do not want to derail this thread so I will attempt to be brief: The "toothiness" as you say IS the burr. Which is why a stropped or polished edge will "fail" that particular test. However, you can't get a polished sharp edge without passing through the burr stage, which is where the miss-application of theory occurs. Many assume that an edge burr is an edge burr and the presence of any burr indicates a specific level of sharpness that can only be refined further by polishing or stropping. This common misconception may be why Murray does not use the term "burr" to describe what he is feeling for. A burr forms when the edge is too thin for that grit to efficiently cut and begins folding over instead, indicating you have reached the sharpest edge reasonably obtainable with that grit, assuming proper technique. That is why Murray is using the burr to indicate when to move on to the next level of grit. With Japanese water stone techniques, "level of sharpness" as an overgeneralized concept is indicated by the grit of stone upon which the edge was "finished". "Finished" being defined roughly as achieving the burr point for the specified grit and then back stropping on the same stone or on a stropping steel to refine (some say align) the burr. With the experience level of someone like Murray Carter, the feel of the burr will be enough to judge what grit formed it and therefore the blade's "level of sharpness". Polishing or leather stropping the edge removes the burr, making a razor more comfortable on the skin as Murray notes, but it also makes it more difficult to judge the sharpness of the blade without actually cutting something.

As a side note; According to Wayne Goddard, at any given level of sharpness, leaving a refined burr edge (he uses the term "wire edge") makes the better slicing edge, but polishing to remove the burr (leather stropping being one common technique) will improve the blade's ability to push cut without a slicing motion.

Smells like male bovine excrement to me.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Smells like teen spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    On another forum someone tried correcting me about the 3 finger test, but I think his post is completely wrong...?
    i saw that post, also.lol
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I like the "attempt to be brief"...

This is why I love this forum. One of the better threads on KKF for how to actually sharpens starts "I make shiny things get cutty cutty". People here got style.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I like the "attempt to be brief"...

This is why I love this forum. One of the better threads on KKF for how to actually sharpens starts "I make shiny things get cutty cutty". People here got style.
    Bwahahahaa it sounds so funny coming from someone else.

In other news......

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    i saw that post, also.lol
    He even tries to plug in his "sharp" video... jeez that guy...

EDIT: I'm browsing other threads and I keep finding him posting his own stuff in other people's threads...

Closed Thread