Thanks Guys (kato)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
I wake up today with many of emails in my mail box about that Mark going to cary Kato.
Well i kind of expected that and was prepared by for that :) In fact he will not be the only one that will do that.

I thought that Kato was so special and soo Unique of a knife that from start so thought for sure it will be copied and tried to get from other sellers.

Thats why we made Workhorse with different steel and different profile and also better FF.

But i am very humbled that so many wrote to me about it and showed your concern !!

I'm assuming the Kato he will sell will not be the same - probably the ones that can be found in Japan, and made of blue #2 I think. I didn't know about this news, but just checked the website and see that prices are high, and much higher than what the other Kato would cost in Japan - maybe $150-$200 more. I'm sure they're great knives, but based on this I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the CK2G Katos.

Ohh yeah just seen that :D
Not only that ours is better with more care and its also cheaper, by a LOT, plus i have free shipping.

Yeah that would be tosho knife arts in Toronto. Ivan and Olivia just started to carry kato, only a few

On the bright side, I guess it's all good news for Kato.

The ones on CKTG are now listed as white#2. I expect the ones that maxim sells are a bit fancier.

From his forum:
And yes they're the same knives with our handles.

From his webshop:
spine thickness at base: 4.69mm
blade height: 47.36mm

And if I trust Maksims ability to read a caliper(no use for me to measure since my prototype is over a year old etc)...
Blade Height at Heel- 50mm
Width of Spine at Handle- 6mm

To me that's not "this new knife on the site the same one getting the hype elsewhere?", the only thing that is the same is the maker.

many on that forum are dissing this forum these days....theyre scratching their heads as to why the artifex isnt getting the love it deserves...

Damn, I know I can't afford it, but this really makes me want to buy a Kato from you Maxim!

The ones on CKTG are now listed as white#2. I expect the ones that maxim sells are a bit fancier.

Wouldnt be so sure.

But really, even if Bitchmond written its tamahagane, how would you check it out? It might be white 2 as well as yellow 3 or green 12.
For sure they have some decent HT but why he sells at a higher price? I heard that was not his strategy previously...

The steel he use in ours is more expensive then white 2 !

I think Kato will be for him like Shigefusa, after some time, he will not get any and he will say there was a problem with FF that's why we don't sell them anymore :laugh:

As you see he got only 3 knives, and i think he sells them already with very low profit

I told that before Kato kitchen knives is quite pricy in Japan and he make less of them then say Shig

I think Kato will be for him like Shigefusa, after some time, he will not get any and he will say there was a problem with FF that's why we don't sell them anymore :laugh:

Did he say that? That's hilarious.

One of the biggest used car salesmen on the net...amazing. I love the Shig quote...can you say lying ************?

I've never checked out the forum until just hours ago, but I don't really care for the general feel of it. That being said- what I did read had a surprising amount of 'the other forum/the unnamed forum/the forum that shall be left unsaid- type of posts. It feels very Jets vs Sharks now, after gaining that type of perspective. Not sure how I feel about that.

Totally derailing this thread... I'll try to make up for it by saying thank you to Maxim, for introducing me to these awesome knives in the first place.

Cheers,

- Josh

Seriously stop making mountains out of mole hills in reference to any forum bashing, try taking the higher road.

As far as Kato is concerned, more power to him, I hope, and if Maxim is the guy I think he is, also wishes only for the best for him and his success through any sales outlet, Toshi, Knife Wear, CKTG, wherever.

The steel he use in ours is more expensive then white 2 !

Yeah, and I have no problem accepting/believing.

But because its a "secret steel" it might be anything, until I will cut the tip away and send it to Gator. :D

Seriously stop making mountains out of mole hills in reference to any forum bashing, try taking the higher road.

As far as Kato is concerned, more power to him, I hope, and if Maxim is the guy I think he is, also wishes only for the best for him and his success through any sales outlet, Toshi, Knife Wear, CKTG, wherever.

Ignoring a problem isn't always the solution.

I started this thread becose of concerns from my costumers, Kato is very small maker so getting more sellers will not affect him in any way. But been asociated with bad ones can affect him, As I been told from some emails that I got.
That's why I made that thread so people know my relationship and our quality of workhoarse and other knives from him will not change.

And you know how some retailers like to send Japanese knives to other manufactures and be copyd and sold cheaper :)

So yeah some things can not be ignored unfortunately, tried that before did not turn out so great :(

Let's not forget the power of $$$ when a substantial order is placed by one retailer, it can close the door on others, even the one who discovered the maker.

I am super lucky I don't have that problem now with Kato

But yeah Dave I know what you mean and it was done before on purpers by some retailers to close the doors for small ones :(
In the end it can actually ruin the quality and reputation of the product !!

I just figured it out.
I have a sour feeling in my stomach.
This whole cktg thing.
I have no complaints about them or their service personally. In fact, in order to get me a knife before a holiday they 2nd day shipped for no extra charge when I ordered 3 day select.
But...Who exactly am I supporting?
I guess the deeper I dig, the more I shall learn and there will be a point where it goes beyond just knives. Well I have some things to think about I guess. Coming from 24 years of retail I can understand what's going on.
I've had one of their Katos on my short list of what to buy next so that's why I posted in this thread. I've spent the last 90 minutes reading about the history/drama/ethics/etc.

I just figured it out.
I have a sour feeling in my stomach.
This whole cktg thing.
I have no complaints about them or their service personally. In fact, in order to get me a knife before a holiday they 2nd day shipped for no extra charge when I ordered 3 day select.
But...Who exactly am I supporting?
I guess the deeper I dig, the more I shall learn and there will be a point where it goes beyond just knives. Well I have some things to think about I guess. Coming from 24 years of retail I can understand what's going on.
I've had one of their Katos on my short list of what to buy next so that's why I posted in this thread. I've spent the last 90 minutes reading about the history/drama/ethics/etc.

Maxim's are better and less expensive, so your list should've just gotten shorter. :doublethumbsup:

Back