• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2 Pierre Rodrigue Knives!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck239

Reaction score
Well everyone.... it is time to starting thinning out my knife collecting and raising some funds for a few other things going on in life. First up for sale are 2 knives by Pierre

1) 240 Damasteel gyuto. This was from the pass around that Pierre held a while ago. After the pass around I requested that the knife be thinned out a lot and the profile be made more flat. Needless to say, he did these two things for me. The knife is much better then it was during the pass around in my honest opinion. Asking $700

2) 240 CMP154 custom line knife. I had Pierre make this for me a few years ago. It is an awesome knife. I was very excited for it but by the time my name came up on the list and I actually got the knife, I was no longer working a line on a daily bases. I still decided to keep the knife because it was from Pierre and my only knife by him. I liked it so much that I ended up ordering a 300mm suji from him. This knife came with a wavy grind to it. I took a photo that shows one of them pretty well. You can see that the knife is not completely flat on the side. The edge has a small part were the bevel waves a bit larger at this spot on the side. The whole edge still touches the board during use. Asking $425

I just had these knives sharpened by Jon at Japanese Knife Imports. (Photos were taken before final sharpening)

-Chuck

pierre gyuto .jpgpierre gyuto 2.jpgpierre gyuto 3.jpgpierre line knife 1.jpgpierre line knife 2.jpgPierre Line knife 3.jpgPierre Line knife wave in grind.jpg

Dang those are nice! Sadly, bills+ New baby= must resist temptation

Some people asked for some more specs. Here they are.

Gyuto:
50mm Tall
2.5mm at handle
2.3mm above heel
2.03 half way
1.18mm 1 inch from the tip
.97mm 1 cm from tip
260 grams (9.17 ounces)

This knife had a very nice convex grind. The middle of the blade is 2.03mm at the spine but the thickest spot on the blade at that point is 2.38mm.

The Suji/line knife:

I call it a line knife because of the height.
42.85mm tall
197 grams
7oz
2.7mm at handle
2.7mm at heel
1.9mm mid way
1.2mm at the drop in the spine before the tip
.75mm 1cm from the tip

Let me know if there are any other questions.

-Chuck

Ok. I'm heading on vacation Tuesday morning. Last try. And I'll ship them out tomorrow morning.

Gyuto: $625
Line knife: $375

-Chuck

Really nice gyuto. Can you tell us which steels it is made of? If not, at least whether stainless or not?

Really nice gyuto. Can you tell us which steels it is made of? If not, at least whether stainless or not?

Damasteel is made from 2 different steel powders (powder metallurgy or PM). The first is 12C27 which is similar to AEB-L and the second is RWL34 which is similar to ATS34 and 154CM. I have done Damascus in these same steels with great results. Me and Larrin even did some Catra testing on this mix. This stuff is fully stainless and is a very good choice for kitchen cutlery. Pierre does an excellent job heat treating.

Hoss

Hoss, you're a classy guy. You definitely didn't need to write what you did, but it says a lot about you (and Pierre).

Congrats to both seller and buyer!

Back