Quantcast
Ready Made Honesuki & Honesuki/Petty Hybrid - True Single Beveled w/Hollow Back - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready Made Honesuki & Honesuki/Petty Hybrid - True Single Beveled w/Hollow Back

Whew..
    I will make one extra of each then.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Marko - if you have room for one more honesuki in 52100 i am soooo in. I am mad that I could miss this.
    I'll take a 135mm honesuki/petty ebony in 52100 if you make an extra! This is micah I'm already on the list for your 225 gyuto

Marko, what's the story with the scimitar pattern you linked to above? Have you made one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Marko, what's the story with the scimitar pattern you linked to above? Have you made one yet?
    Not yet. I need to make a narrower tool support for my grinder as the current is too wide to accommodate knives with curves. I am also trying to decide on geometry for scimitar. I didn't like geometry on a Dexter scimitar.

Too many things going on besides this project, so I have to put it on the back burner. If I have time this month, maybe I will do it. I do have a lot of A2, so I will get to scimitars and bread knives pretty soon.

M

Here's the original poultry slayer today:

Name:  DSC00283.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  15.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Here's the original poultry slayer today:

Name:  DSC00283.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  15.9 KB
    Way nicer than I remember it. Great job on the handle.

Here are profiles on two prototypes I made to figure the process. The finish messed up the shinogi line outline, but it's there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0563.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	16683

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0564.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	16684

M

PS: The gyuto in the picture is the test run before I make a contest knife. This one has a thicker tip.

Forgot to mention that I will probably do the chisel grinds on the tips. What the hell...

The first prototype looked good with it.

Looks great!

Took 135 petty/honesuki prototype home for some test cutting. It performed reasonably well on two densest foods I had - apples and sweet potatoes - very little steering, I would say almost no steering on a pull cut (one I tested). It should perform even better on softer vegetables and fruits.

Keep in mind that this is going to be a thin knife, though it won't have any flex. Thin is essential to perform as a petty and to minimize steering.

Will grind another prototype today to test a hypotheses I got in the last few days, after this, I should be ready for a run.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Took 135 petty/honesuki prototype home for some test cutting. It performed reasonably well on two densest foods I had - apples and sweet potatoes - very little steering, I would say almost no steering on a pull cut (one I tested). It should perform even better on softer vegetables and fruits.

Keep in mind that this is going to be a thin knife, though it won't have any flex. Thin is essential to perform as a petty and to minimize steering.

Will grind another prototype today to test a hypotheses I got in the last few days, after this, I should be ready for a run.

M
    150mm honesuki will be ground similarly, but will have a slightly thicker geometry.

M