Ready Made Honesuki & Honesuki/Petty Hybrid - True Single Beveled w/Hollow Back

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I would like to run a batch of these in the next 2-3 weeks. I need to raise some funds before vacation, and custom orders have been painfully slow (I understand now why Carter got out of custom business altogether). Working on one size, one type knife , preferably one type handle will offer some economy of scale and efficiency, and I would like to do that in addition to other work that I will do this month.

I ground a prototype of each knife (pics posted shortly, just need to work a bit more on the finish). Profiles are on a flatter side, to simplify sharpening, the knives are true single bevel with a hollow back, a purpose of which is to keep the edge thin during future sharpening and thinning sessions, rather than for food separation.

These would be offered in 52100 and A2 steel and heat treated for a good balance of sharpness, edge retention and toughness. A2 will not get as sharp as 52100, but would hold edge longer, while 52100 will have a very good wear resistance, so here is something to accommodate most people's preferences (not stainless option at this time). Both will respond well to stropping.

For handle material I will use cocobolo or ebony. No other wood will be considered and no sayas will be offered.

Hand-rubbed finish on both steels to 600grit.

The 135mm hybrid petty/honesuki is a good knife for working around joints on a poultry, in-hand work on fruits and vegetables and some light petty work. 150mm honesuki is a true honesuki, but I will grind it thinner and lighter than most honesukis I have handled.
Edges on both will be too think to cut through bones, but that's not the purpose of either of this knife. I also can beef up the edge if desired.

For handles I would prefer to use my metal tip construction - the most sanitary of all (you will be dealing with proteins), even though it's also the most complex and requires more time.

They will be priced at $240 for 135mm and $260 for 150mm. Given the amount of work that will go into these (heat treatment, grind, fit and finish, handle complexity) I think prices are fair.

Shipping will be extra.

Please fill out the form (click on link below) if you are interested in getting one, so I get an idea about preferences and quantities.

Thanks.

Ready Made Petty/Honesuki & Honesuki

Submitted. Though page following form submission didn't have a confirmation message. It had website navigation, and a sole continue button.

Want to add that these will be made of 3.4mm stock, and will have a distal taper in addition to a hollow grind. Despite being thin, both are sturdy knives with a solid feel.

Handle will be completely sealed with epoxy on the inside and around the tang, making it fully sanitary. Also, the tip area around tang is pressure-fit, so there is no gap.

100% satisfaction guarantee and 7 days return for a full refund (conditions apply).

Thanks

M

There are some updates done on my site, so at the moment (12:45 EST) it is not accessible. Please try later if for some reason you can't log in your input.

M

I made a hybrid petty/honesuki a few years back, liked it back then, but then shelved it as I started making more efficient petties.This project was shelved until a friend (and an avid knife nut) came upon it in my shop, asked if he can have it, and liked a lot. He convinced to give this project another try. I modified a profile a bit and came up with two versions, a hybrid and a honesuki.

Both would excel cutting around joints, deboning, etc. Hybrid will be moderately effective as a petty - the single bevel might take some time to get used to, but for work in-hand on vegetables or fruits, it's actually pretty good.

The two prototypes are without handles, but I like the grind, weight and feel of them, so I will go ahead. I will tweak them further as feedback comes in, but I think they are pretty good as they are now.

7 days return should rest possible concerns. Thanks to those who logged their input.

Marko

PS: These are first quality knives, folks. I offer them competitively priced as I want to get more of my knives out there (one way to do it is to keep them affordable), and as a way to say thank you to many of you who helped me improve my knives over the years. If I went by just the time I put into each knife, I wouldn't have been able to justify the price I am asking. My custom handles were almost the same price as these knives when I offered them, and I stopped because I wanted to concentrate on knives and accessories.

M

All submissions received so far with out problems.

I am going to stop accepting inputs once I reach a manageable number, it might be today or in the next day or two. I will post an update here.

M

Can't wait to see photos of the profile. I hesitate to order one with out seeing the profile. Hoping the slots are not filled before the pic's are up!

Marko, how close is it to the one you posted two years ago?

attachment.php

Yes, I think I narrowed the tip slightly so, but overall it's the same profile.

I should have the actual pics (and solicitation for criticism) tomorrow.

M

PS: that knife is alive and well and being used extensively I was told. Watanabe honesuki is patiently waiting to be reground and refinished.

Here is what the handle for honesuki/petty is going to look like. It will be sized to the knife, so will be smaller:

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

Thanks everybody who participated.

I will make these to the preferences as submitted via form. Will keep you posted about the project via this thread. Count on at least some WIP pictures.

M

I loved that knife the first time you showed it, was wondering whatever happened to your prototype. Glad to see that it gets used. This should be a great and versatile knife.

Stefan

I sent out an email to everybody who submitted input. If you haven't received an email from me, please check your spam folder and/or contact me.

Thanks,

M

Marko - if you have room for one more honesuki in 52100 i am soooo in. I am mad that I could miss this.

Marko - if you have room for one more honesuki in 52100 i am soooo in. I am mad that I could miss this.

I'll take a 135mm honesuki/petty ebony in 52100 if you make an extra! This is micah I'm already on the list for your 225 gyuto

Marko, what's the story with the scimitar pattern you linked to above? Have you made one yet?

Marko, what's the story with the scimitar pattern you linked to above? Have you made one yet?

Not yet. I need to make a narrower tool support for my grinder as the current is too wide to accommodate knives with curves. I am also trying to decide on geometry for scimitar. I didn't like geometry on a Dexter scimitar.

Too many things going on besides this project, so I have to put it on the back burner. If I have time this month, maybe I will do it. I do have a lot of A2, so I will get to scimitars and bread knives pretty soon.

M

Here's the original poultry slayer today:

View attachment 16682

Way nicer than I remember it. Great job on the handle.

Here are profiles on two prototypes I made to figure the process. The finish messed up the shinogi line outline, but it's there.

DSC_0563.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

M

PS: The gyuto in the picture is the test run before I make a contest knife. This one has a thicker tip.

Forgot to mention that I will probably do the chisel grinds on the tips. What the hell... :D

The first prototype looked good with it.

Took 135 petty/honesuki prototype home for some test cutting. It performed reasonably well on two densest foods I had - apples and sweet potatoes - very little steering, I would say almost no steering on a pull cut (one I tested). It should perform even better on softer vegetables and fruits.

Keep in mind that this is going to be a thin knife, though it won't have any flex. Thin is essential to perform as a petty and to minimize steering.

Will grind another prototype today to test a hypotheses I got in the last few days, after this, I should be ready for a run.

M

Took 135 petty/honesuki prototype home for some test cutting. It performed reasonably well on two densest foods I had - apples and sweet potatoes - very little steering, I would say almost no steering on a pull cut (one I tested). It should perform even better on softer vegetables and fruits.

Keep in mind that this is going to be a thin knife, though it won't have any flex. Thin is essential to perform as a petty and to minimize steering.

Will grind another prototype today to test a hypotheses I got in the last few days, after this, I should be ready for a run.

M

150mm honesuki will be ground similarly, but will have a slightly thicker geometry.

M

Latest posts

Back