Gesshin Uraku 165 Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crothcipt

Reaction score
I have been wanting to start a pass a round for a while. But I don't want to send off my gyuto's yet. (afraid I will miss them)

So here it is. If you have wanted to try skd steel, or even a Nakiri. Here is your chance. I will post pics later but as for now it's this one from john.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gesshin-uraku/gesshin-uraku-165mm-skd-nakiri.html

Only rules I have are: Have to be in good standing with forum, Have over 100 posts. Oh ya post every like and dislike about the knife you have. (I just find those type of threads more entertaining). Also ask for some pics posted as it goes around. One last item I can think of post me the tracking.

I have really been wanting to use a nikiri. Count me in if you'll have me!

Here is a couple of pics taken rq.
2013-07-03 21-33-32.854.jpg2013-07-03 21-33-49.567.jpg

I have used it a few times since I received it. It still has John's edge on it. Not as sharp as then (It would stick in the board by its own weight)
but still very sharp.

I gave one of these away a while back. I get to play with it when it comes back for sharpening. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :)

Ty for your thoughts tk. I don't want to have what Son had happen with a P A some time ago, and post his likes and dislikes right off.

I would be interested in participating as well, if possible. When I bought my nakiri last summer this was one that I was seriously considering but I ended up going with another. It would be interesting to see how they stack up!

Just a bump. Will wait until after the weekend, to see if more will want to join, to post a list.

here is the list. To bad it didn't get bigger.

Bradgibson
Amon-Rukh
Stereo Pete
Toddnmd

Todd if you don't live in Maryland pm me were. I seem to remember you said that was a part of your name. The order went as for location west to east. Brad pm me your address and I will get this out first thing.

I just bought the shig Nikiri from salty. Maybe I will get to compare the two!

Brad how has it been??? Please be honest, that is what we want from these pass a rounds. Also Amon send brad your addy. so he can get it out next week.

I will do a complete review when I get a chance to spend some more time. But in short its been a fun knife, cuts like a laser on veggies and comes with a beautiful saya for 125?!! I think this nikiri could be a great deal for someone on a tight budget. I just got the shig KU nikiri and I feel like other than the sharpness level, these two perform quite similarly. The shig does take an incredible edge but there is no way its edge retention can make a dent in the gesshin. For a serious workhorse knife I would recommend this gesshin nikiri as an inexpensive and incredible option.

This will be fun! In addition to testing the uraku I'll get to test my new camera too, so hopefully no lousy cellphone pics for my leg of the passaround. :thumbsup:

Also, PM with address sent!

:hungry:
This will be fun! In addition to testing the uraku I'll get to test my new camera too, so hopefully no lousy cellphone pics for my leg of the passaround. :thumbsup:

Also, PM with address sent!

Brad, you are seeing a difference in carbon, and stainless. I would say the shig would keep a edge longer lasting because of this. (not counting ht. some people can change that)

Also when I sent that I would say it was at 90% of what John had sent me. Glad you are enjoying the experience.

:hungry:

Brad, you are seeing a difference in carbon, and stainless. I would say the shig would keep a edge longer lasting because of this. (not counting ht. some people can change that)

Also when I sent that I would say it was at 90% of what John had sent me. Glad you are enjoying the experience.

In my hands, the Uraku edge was useable longer (albeit not as fine an edge) than my Shig and it really wasn't close.

lol we almost have an emoticon for it! Who can modify this little guy's sign to say passaround? :threadjacked:

Anyhow, who am I messaging my address to now? :)

I never let tinh use it nor has he asked for it. I think he is talking about his own. Its in the mail to you Amon-Rukh

Knife arrived this afternoon and will be accompanying me to make stirfry in a few minutes!

Erik,

I am going to bow out on this one, I will be super busy in the upcoming weeks and it will be a waste for me to have the knife. Please pass it along to whomever is next.

Thanks,

Pete

Let me know when you have time, I'll see what I can do.

Back