Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti Fatigue Mats

The horse mats are pretty heavy duty, wonder why?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Carpeted mats work well, it's what we use in the kitchens at work. http://www.bigtray.com/carpet-kitche...s-p-19140.html Similar to those, but we get them from our linen company.

+1 on using orthotics, should have done so years ago, but now that I have good health benefits I get new ones every year. However, I also find that my Birkenstock Boston clogs are just as good as orthotics, they're not exactly heavy duty though.

As for mats, gel mats are OK, but these are heavier duty and the edges are guaranteed not to curl up: www.wellnessmats.com

For a pro kitchen you have to use the grease resistant variety. They are usually orange. The regulation black style, no matter how heavy duty, will not stand up to the constant exposure to the bottom of a cooks shoe; ie: food/ grease. They will disintegrate quickly.

On a second note, although maybe better for your feet/ knees, most cooks dislike mats. They get filthy, you cannot regularly run a broom during service; having to wait to the end of the night to pull them. And, you have to run them through the dishmachine daily, which is a wet, filthy experience and leaves the machine filthy.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    For a pro kitchen you have to use the grease resistant variety. They are usually orange. The regulation black style, no matter how heavy duty, will not stand up to the constant exposure to the bottom of a cooks shoe; ie: food/ grease. They will disintegrate quickly.

On a second note, although maybe better for your feet/ knees, most cooks dislike mats. They get filthy, you cannot regularly run a broom during service; having to wait to the end of the night to pull them. And, you have to run them through the dishmachine daily, which is a wet, filthy experience and leaves the machine filthy.
    All true. I hate mats with a passion.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    I find the horse-stall mats to be a little too hard for standing in one place for hours at a time (I have a few in my shop.) I like the foam, puzzle-piece mats you can get from Costco, Lowes/Home Depot quite well. A little spray adhesive on the ground keeps them in place and they feel nicer than the horse-stall mats. If you can find the big thick ones the checkers use at costco, that would be great, but I've seen some like that at Loews and they are pricy.
    -M
    So, do you use your floormats to clean your belts now?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post

+1 I hate the damn mats. Of course, I'd rather stand on something comfortable like a mat than just the tile, but still. I hate the damn things.

Yup I hear you there. When I prep at work there aren't any mats around and tile is hard on the feet. When it comes to cleaning like some have said. Can't really clean'em that fast and at the end you have to spry then down and toss them through the dish machine. (Then empty the water).

I don't hate the mats like most of you line studs, because I work in a smaller private kitchen cooking healthier food (we don't even have a deep fryer).

After 25 years in the biz, my tired old dogs appreciate the creature comforts.

Nope, can't stand them. They totally gross me out and I see them as a tripping hazard. I stay up better when I'm being a little more cautious with my footing on the tile. Plus, as No Chop mentioned, it makes a ten second sweep into a PIA.

But TK59, what is this minimalist footwear you mentioned? Does it still have treaded grips? I'm looking at upgrading from the flimsy, B.S. treaded crocs (F.U. Batali), and I'm shopping around.