Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dazu Clhinese Cleavers

A number of cleavers for sure. And a week in a Sichuan cooking class.

My favorite Chinese kitchen supply here has plenty cleavers.Have bought strainers,cleavers & various other tools many years.Was grocery shopping in Chinatown yesterday & wandered into my favorite store.I picked up CCK KF 1913

20.5 cm X 9cm X 2mm #2 vegetable cleaver.They call it triple steel I think it is better quality carbon steel.I paid 39.00 with tax 40.00 and change.

The exact same cleaver on Chinese Chef Mall is 69.95.Chef Mall sells the CCK 1303 for 46.59.To me this cleaver is nicer than the 1303 & was able to put a very sharp edge on it.

The CCK 1303 have inflated prices many sites because of almost a cult following. I have seen them for over 60.00.Not worth it.

They have a whole box of these KF 1913 & some smaller ones with the same quality steel. Monday I have class going to let students cut some veggies wt. this thin sharp blade. I am sure some of them will be visiting Chinatown.

Funny thing, after two trips to China hunting cleavers, I have yet to find a CCK for sale there. It is a big country so that probably doesn't mean too much. I did find many Shibazi models in Chengdu.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Funny thing, after two trips to China hunting cleavers, I have yet to find a CCK for sale there. It is a big country so that probably doesn't mean too much. I did find many Shibazi models in Chengdu.
    Reading Chinese fora got me curious about Shibazi. The quality brands I've come across in Taiwan don't get any press except for the tourist stuff, which I don't like as much.

Shibazi offers a full line of cutlery including many western patterns. The only knives I've tried are their pro-grade cleavers but they are, in my opinion, the equal of CCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Chan Chi Kee are in Hong Kong; they're easier to find than Shibazi in Southeast Asia (elsewhere maybe not so much). I got a 1301, a duck knife and a noodle knife in Singapore (Temple street, restaurant supply shops). Shibazi were also available but all I saw was stainless.

On an unrelated note I also got a rather spiffy hand-hammered Chan Chi Kee wok.

The Dazu cleavers I see online seem to be pretty standard profile- and size-wise, although many have western handles. I ended up on this thread from reading Dunlop. Having looked at pics of the Dazu cleavers I might be keen on trying one if I was doing mail order but I'm in HK or SG often enough if I need a new cleaver. May also try playing with some oddly shaped Thai cleavers. Doesn't pay to get too obsessed with 'authenticity', I think: I've never seen those cool-looking Thai cleavers actually being used by restaurant or home cooks, typically you'll see rather underwhelming Kiwi or Rhino knives, even in the hands of people doing amazing cutting.

One of the quirks I noticed about cleavers in Chengdu was that the standard wood slabs held on by cutlery rivets type handle was more common than what I think of as the traditional wood cylinder style grip. This was true in about ever restaurant and market stall I went into.

Here's Fuchsia and her cleaver,

Read her piece that won James beard award here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/luckypeach/h...make-dick-soup

My hotel in Chengdu had "double boiled yak pizzle" in English on their menu. Didn't try it though. A friend commented he was sure it was much better than single boiled.