Quantcast
Dazu Clhinese Cleavers
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dazu Clhinese Cleavers

Dazu Chinese Cleavers

I've read in several places that Dazu made cleavers are highly regarded in China including in Fuchsia Dunlop's book "Land of Plenty." Anyone know a source for them?
    Thanks

any pic?

Would be interested to hear about this too. Just googling a bit, perhaps they'd originate from the Dazu area of China, near Chongqing and Chengdu, and just beside Sichuan, so the 'Land of Plenty' reference makes sense.

I was suspecting it would be "Dazu" as the area. I was born in sichuan, so if it was indeed from the area, a pic or two would be very helpful

No picks at all. I've been looking for those too. Seems like I may have to go on another pilgrimage to actually find these legendary cleavers.

http://cart100.com/product/178809285...kitchen+knives

when you search just put Dazu knife and a bunch pop up.

Thanks Stumblinman. That knife probably isn't worth a trip to China to find. Wonder if there are other makers and models in the area? I have a number plain carbon steel cleavers I picked up in a province a little south of there a couple of years ago I really don't know who made. Very lightly marked in Chinese characters but the knives are not like any I have found in the U.S. Thought they might even be Dazu knives.

An update. I found an interesting traditional dazu carbon steel cleaver on one of those Chinese websites. I ordered it using Pay Pal. This morning I found the order canceled with a message that the U.S Postal Service would consider the cleaver a weapon and that they ban weapon shipments. Having bought kitchen knives from all over the world and had the U.S. Post Office deliver them I have no idea what they are talking about. I assume there is some other reason in play here that I'm not aware of.

Another update. I went to Chengdu in Sichuan and asked around about the Dazu cleavers. Nobody I was able to converse with knew anything. A tip, not knowing Cantonese is a serious problem there. Most didn't even seem to know where the town of Dazu was even though it is maybe 115 k from Chengdu. But--- every shop I went into looking at cleavers tried to point me at one particular brand. I bought one among the other knives I brought back. Today in my web searches I found it was a Dazu cleaver. Nothing maybe outstanding by American standards, stainless, plain wood handle and around $10 there but it seems to work fine for me.

$10 cleaver.. hope you didnt go there just for that :P

what else did you pick up while in asia?

+ Reply to Thread