Kanemasa 270mm Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Gibson

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got this bad boy off of another forum member and have put it through a couple weeks on the line and my roommate who is also a line cook is using it on the line as we speak.

I work in a steakhouse and ran the knife through about 20 each ribloins and striploins as well as did some filet portioning with it. I found it too long and basically unreasonable to break down tenderloins so I kept that for a smaller knife. I also use the suji to portion salmon, swordfish, and big eye #1 ahi tuna and had a wonderful time with it for those tasks as well.

I found this knife to have one of those most aesthetically pleasing shapes I have seen in a suji. Its kirisukesque tip and long lines give it a great look. I really did not enjoy the handle as much as I should but I think it is simply because it is a western and it feels a little handle heavy for my liking. I am more of a wa handled kind of guy and in the future I hope to be able to get my hands on a wa suji of the same size or longer.

I never had a problem with this but as of now my roommate has had it for about a week and a half and I saw it the other night and it has a ton of micro chips in it. Like four near the heel and one near the tip. He swears he isnt using it on any hard foods or abusing it and I trust that.

Has anyone else found a kanemasa blade being prone to chipping? Please chime in if you have had experiences with a carbon sujihiki of this length chipping on you and if you have any suggestions as to a way to sharpen it so that it would be less likely to happen again.

I have sharpened this knife on a green brick 2000 grit synthetic a baby blue 6000 grit and stropped on balsa woods with sprays.

I don't know why the knife would be chipping other than maybe the steel is prone to it or if there is something obvious to you guys that I am doing wrong in the sharpening process. I am not using any microbevels and I barely know what a microbevel is, but for some reason I thought that maybe I should put one on to strengthen it.

Thanks for your replies and taking the time to read my short review,

Brad

image_zpsb99dbb16.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

c35e51ab-7145-4964-a0f1-7cfa60011847_zps1eaaa654.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsd098dbc5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

760a4a18-522c-4fb2-963b-228aa996704c_zps60d4bfdf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:spiteful:

I've used/seen/sharpened several. I haven't seen excessive microchipping.

Never had an issue with mine. If you don't have issues with chipping and your roomie has issues then I can only presume there must be something in his technique or maybe something that he's cutting that's creating the issue. Easy solution is microbevel or simply sharpen at a slightly more obtuse angle to give it a bit more strength behind the edge.

i'm going to have to go with user fault on the microchipping... this is not a knife i would expect to see that in... the steel/HT is on the tougher side for sure

Brad got that knife from me and if he wants to sell it back I'll buy it! I bought it from Jon about 2.5 years ago, kalaeb did the handle (he did a great job even though he'd just started) and I never had a microchip that I recall. The steel is pretty pedestrian but it took a nice edge. The profile is terrific.

Nice knife, profile and handle. You guys must have a sweet station on the line to be able to rock such a lengthy knife!
Also glad to see another Marco fan!

Back