Ordered a Nogent and this came.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblnickels

Reaction score
Been wanting a Sab. chef for a while and was swayed by the story of the
historical series at TBT.
The knife came straight but slightly twisted. This is not a big deal as this was to be a
rack knife that could do some of the harsher tasks and be steeled back to reasonable health.
Horses for courses.

This is my first time handling a Nogent. Is this mighty of a grind normal? The spine shots I see
online seem much thinner. Sorry about the phone pics.

Weight is 255 grams.

First the grind.

and the spine.

NOT what I was expecting!

is it a 10" chefs? i think the spine is probably about normal, not sure about grind though. talk to them about swapping it out for one you might prefer.

Is it possible you ordered or they shipped by mistake a Chef de chef knife?

-AJ

My 9" Nogent is only 4mm at that same spot, maybe 5.

-AJ

I'm a big fan of Sabs, and especially the older ones. However, I had a Nogent (bought from labor of love, actually), and while it was a cool knife, and exactly as described, I fairly quickly traded it away. It wasn't for me, and that one wouldn't be either. I have a feeling there's an awful lot of variance with these knives.

I have a feeling there's an awful lot of variance with these knives.

:plus1:

Mine is no where near that thick, and though it has been thinned a few times, it was never like that. I did hand pick mine at TBT and it was amazing how much different some were than others. Great knife if you find one you like. Good Luck!

You said you wanted to use it for harsher tasks, that brute will surely do the job.

Looks like the nogent that I got and sold from tbt a while back. When I called them I was told "that's just how they're coming in" they're selling it as a regular nogent chefs knife but the grind and profile are defineatly chef de chef.

Lobster splitter, that's what I thought too. This was sold under the 10" chef column.
I have some German beaters for hard squash and rocking parsley etc.
Back it goes, but I thought I would show what was sent by TBT
as a chef knife for others to see.
Thanks for the speedy replies!

FWIW, mine is 4mm. If you're really interested it might be worth calling them and asking them to find the thinnest/best condition one they have. I guess back in the day QC wasnt a big issue

I'm curious, are these all old knives they are selling? If so, wouldn't they be culls from way back?

My daily driver is a Trumpet Sab from the 50's I think. It's thick like this at the bolster but the distal taper (sp?) is dramatic. The grind on mine is different to, it seems like a pretty concave grind from the spine to the edge.

Back