drastic steering, need help please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellminded1

Reaction score
Hello all, I just recieved a misono dragon 240 and upon using it for an hour I notice it is drastically steering to the left, is there anyway I can fix this or what needs to be done? any and all help would be great.
Cheers
Ken

Is it a new one? If not, do you know how it has been sharpened?
Whatever, the very first thing to do is to loosen your grip.

Is it a new one? If not, do you know how it has been sharpened?
Whatever, the very first thing to do is to loosen your grip.
it is brand new, will try the loose grip. I consider my grip to be loose but will try again, Thank you.

Pictures are what I was told will help most. I fixed mine, but it was only a throwaway so I just kept practicing until it worked right

If the OP is right handed and it's about a brand new Misono there is no need for pix, the configuration is quite familiar to most of us, I guess.

I think you may need to just use it a bit and get used to this specific knife's geometry.

Normally, the advice would be to thin behind the edge on the left face or to reduce the degree of asymmetry. But I'm reluctant to suggest that when a brand new knife is concerned. Especially with the Misono Dragon where I didn't experience that steering so strongly as you've described it.
Some users of asymmetric blades initially experiencing strong steering have adapted their technique, loosing the grip and twisting it a few degrees clockwise. I hope some pro users will chime in to explain it more competently.
Could it be this is your first strongly asymmetric blade?

Will continue to use it and see what happens, thanks guys.

The edge is steering to the left, correct? You are right handed, correct?

If both of those are true then what you have is a highly asymmetrically ground (and/or sharpened) knife that is also likely pretty thick. Correct?

If that too is true then the only answer I can think to give is to thin BOTH sides by grinding from above the bevel on down to the edge. You may have to spend some additional time loving on the right side because this is probably where the knife is the thickest and/OR sharpened too obtuse.

My thought is that the knife is thick and sharpened wedge like.

Totally agree with Dave. Out of the three Dragons Ive handled and sharpened every single one was to be thinned. As simple as it is. Even the 180 or 195 chefs knife I got some time ago.

The only diff is that I wouldnt do it on the left hand side, just the right hand side, and with the edge thin enough[to me], I dont remember VERY drammatic steering after the thinning.
Dont recall that at all, but it might be that I just had to focus on the food I was cutting, but aint noticed to really have the blade disturbing the process.

Back