Quantcast
Chinese cleaver storage
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese cleaver storage

Chinese cleaver storage

For those of you that uses Chinese cleaver(s) regularly, how do you store your cleaver(s)?

It seems nearly impossible to find knife blocks with a few cleaver slots that actually fits a Chinese cleaver. And my other half dislike displaying sharp edges on the wall...

Honestly mine end up laying around on cutting boards most of the time. If I had to put them up in a usable fashion and a magnetic block was out of the question, I'd make a block or beg David (the Boardsmith) to make me one. I guess the question is do you feel like a project?
    - Sean

I had David Smith (BoardSmith) make me one and love it. If there was a way to attach pictures I would. It seems the only way of posting now is with another site first. Here is a video of my kitchen that shows the Cleaver block Dave made. The video was shot by Buzz about 3 years ago now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7lYfMaqyg
    --
    Joe

One of my cleavers has a saya, so I store it in the saya spine-down leaning against my knife block. The other two I use really makeshift printer-paper "sayas"; I actually bring them with me each day, so they're carried "tip" down in my travel bag. Oh, and my lonely CCK never gets used anymore so it's stored in the basement with an edge protector.

I'd love to have a nice custom block made for my stuff someday. But that day is not today.
    Len

I´d be very interested in a custom made knife block (to fit 6 cleavers and a few other knives) if the shipping cost to Europe doesnt make it too prohibitive.

I am fed up with all my knives lying all around the kitchen but I haven´t found another way yet to have them all at hand

Sorry for pirating your thread, but JoeC who made the nakiri hanging on the magnet on the cabinet? Thanks-Tom
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I had David Smith (BoardSmith) make me one and love it. If there was a way to attach pictures I would. It seems the only way of posting now is with another site first. Here is a video of my kitchen that shows the Cleaver block Dave made. The video was shot by Buzz about 3 years ago now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7lYfMaqyg
    Joe -- I thought I recalled you describing a block that you made for your cleavers using 1" x 6" or 1" x 8" boards. Or was that another cleaver nut? I kept it in the back of my mind in case I ever break down and buy another cleaver.

I have 2 -- a small Misono and a cheap Dexter-Russell. Either one will fit in the cleaver slot of my 22-slot Shun knife block. The Misono gets that spot, and the Dexter lives in a drawer with a Wusthof edge guard on it.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

I worked at a place that had a 2" x 6" x 24ish" nice hardwood board that had slots cut across it. All the chefs stored their knives, standing up, in the board....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

CKTG has those individual wood stands that support by the blade.

You could make a rack similar to this, but just adjust the peg heights to fit your cleavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    CKTG has those individual wood stands that support by the blade.

You could make a rack similar to this, but just adjust the peg heights to fit your cleavers.
    Yeah but his significant other doesn't like to see sharpness. I love my BoardSMITH knife block, btw. It took a while and UPS dropped it but it is awesome.