Thick or Thin Tips on Knives - Need Input

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been grinding knives with thinner tips for a while. Typically on the last 50mm (~2"), tip tapers from about 1.75mm to under .2mm. Tips on many J. knives are ground a little thicker, the taper is on the last 10mm or so, from 1.35mm to under .2mm (Shigefusa).

Which of the two are preferred? Thinner tips flex, but for lateral cuts tend to be better. Thicker tips give the tip ares sturdier feel (if you need to apply pressure while cutting with a tip).

I personally prefer thinner tips, but maybe it's because I have been used to them.

M

PS: I ground a knife with tip similar to how J. makers grind. Skill-wise it's not easier or harder.

LOL. Did I grind this thick tip for nothing? Well, difference between two is negligible, but I was copying rather a thin knife.

As well as worrying about flex, you don't want the tip too thin in case it breaks if you knock it about a little, sticking the tip into a chopping board or something like that or hitting the tip off a metal tray, that kind of thing

The very tip (5mm or so) on most knives is very thin, so it is likely to get damaged if a knife is dropped. However, the HT on my knives will probably result the tip to bend rather then to break off in a chunk. Same applies to a contact with objects like metal tray or other things - you might get a ding instead of a large chip.

So I am getting a message that medium thickness tip is desirable - thin but not too thin or too thick.

I think that's where I have probably been all along, but needed to check now that I am planning a run for a line knife.

M

I examined tips on knives that hasn't left the shop yet and thickened a few. Thanks folks, this has been very helpful.

M

Back