Anyone tried or used this before?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
It is a Shun Classic 7" Rocking knife

I personally don't like it AT ALL

Feels really weird in the hand and definitely steering issues with being left handed

It is the Sous Chefs knife a girl and I just feel as if it is made for smaller hands or a girl (nothing wrong with that at all just stating my opinion if she likes it great but not for me)who is on vacation and is the best knife to use at the moment as the rest are complete crap.

You know what I hate the most when your trying to cut a tomato and the knife can't even puncture the skin...and of course that happens when a hundred orders are thrown at you.

shunclassicrockingknife7inchdm0764.jpg

Thought you could upload a picture right from a post? I have one at work a crappy cell phone pic but is there a way to upload it without using something like imgur or photobucket

Different strokes for different folks...

Try using a serrated bread knife to cut tomatoes.

Messaluna comes to mind. Dull is dull, no matter the knife

Never used one but I bet it'd look really sweet with an bright orange "Gusto" handle:D

Thought you could upload a picture right from a post? I have one at work a crappy cell phone pic but is there a way to upload it without using something like imgur or photobucket

I think you can only upload pics directly if you're a paying member, otherwise you have to link them.

Messaluna comes to mind. Dull is dull, no matter the knife

:plus1: Unless you're chopping up herbs all day, I can't see how someone would like that design. But whatever floats your boat. It's the ultimate rock-chopper with no slicing function.

:plus1: Unless you're chopping up herbs all day, I can't see how someone would like that design. But whatever floats your boat. It's the ultimate rock-chopper with no slicing function.

Agreed whatever floats your boat? but I don't know who else this would appeal to besides people with really small hands that blade is so short and just feels totally awkward in the hand and who would pay 150-200 beans for this thing get LOST

cutting herbs? of you rock herbs the outer sides of each bit becomes darker and cooked. well, if the blade is razor sharp maybe not but rocking on the boards kill the razor sharp edge pretty fast anyways.

make me think the belly could be useful to skin big animals or fishes, cutting soft things with no contact with the board

"dull is dull, no matter the knife" is the truth

ugly knife :s

why does shun do this to people? make people think they need something that is terrible and obsolete. its a crime

This design of this knife reminds me of the saying I first heard from my Dad, " a finger for every nose"

first shun looks more like a spanish fish knife to me

I would use the rollie pollie one for mincing garlic I suppose. Pastry chef where I work has the exact same knife shape, only the Myabi version. I've never really tried it. What is the intended use on that top Edo?

All you need is a wooden bowl to cut in.

The top Edo looks like an accordion cutting machine...maybe handy for making fancy garnishes?

Using culinary students as test subjects?

Exactly...because they think "OHHH SHUN! MUST BE GOOD!" Not getting me though that's for damn sure (I am a culinary student) but some are just so damn clueless and think Wusthof, Shun, Henckles are all the good ones? Like get out a little bit do some research that's what I have done!

You can create fabulous food with all of them. I know many outstanding chefs and cooks that oddly don't share our obsession with knives. Fortunately, I have few other vices .

You can create fabulous food with all of them. I know many outstanding chefs and cooks that oddly don't share our obsession with knives. Fortunately, I have few other vices .

Not saying that you can't create Fabulous food with them just saying some people THINK they are the best and that's all....

My chef told me the other day,"I have no interest in your knife collection, at all!" When I tried to show him my new knife. I generally feel like its a little silly to not have interest in the best tools possible in your profession. He just doesn't care.. I just don't let him touch my knives in return.

I hear you Brad. My last 'colleague' only used stamped offset serrated beaters for everything. And the duller the better. Preferably with a broken tip.
Oh yeah...his food sucked too.

^^^^^^^^^:plus1:^^^^^^^^^

Back