Quantcast
Hey. My name is Michael Miller and I am learning to make knives. - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey. My name is Michael Miller and I am learning to make knives.

Thanks everyone.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

What I did today

Put in an hour or two in the shop today putting some Wa-handles together. Thought y'all would want to see.

This is stabilized claro walnut with micarta ferrule and nickle-silver spacer. It is about halfway through rough shaping.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140113_175306.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	21538

I threw a little water on it to get it a little closer to a finished look.

Name:	20140113_181208.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	21540

This one is stabilized redwood with silver spacers and micarta. It is freshly glued in this picture.

Name:	20140113_175331.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	21539

Anyway I just wanted to get your thoughts on these and pick your brains for a second.

Which one do you like better? (I know it is very early to tell how these will turn out.)

Also a more general question is: Which type of handle do you prefer? a more simple and clean handle or a more intricate handle with lots of burling? Lots of pieces and spacers, or just 2-3? I know this is a very subjective question, just wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks everyone.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    I like the walnut and nickel silver its clean and strong. I have a handle like that on my 240 takeda. strong, simple lines, and a little shiny does the trick for me.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

They both look pretty similar, but I think I like the top one better. Hard to say tho since they're both not finished yet, like you said.

They both look like they'll turn out great.

I think they will look a little more different when I get them both rough shaped. I have 2 different knives that need handles and I am trying to decide which handle will go where.

Here is a better comparison picture of those two handles, both are still just blanks right now.

So do you like more simple handles like the one on the bottom? Or do you like handles with a few more pieces and a lot of figuring in the wood like the one on the top? Or maybe a simple 2-3 piece handle with lots of burl?

I would love to hear your input. Thanks to everyone who has already given their opinions.

Name:	20140114_102545.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	21544

Hm, I like the one on the top in that new picture more. The wood looks more unique, kind of looks like fire.

I like the rosewood burl handle more, but I would make the micarta spacer smaller. Maybe half the size.

If there is going to be lots of figure in the wood I would prefer letting the burl stand out, what you did on the top one is great, but if there is not much figure I would prefer an end cap and some spacers

I prefer the top one. Very, very nice .
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Thanks, everyone. The compliments mean a lot and the advice is very welcome.