Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey. My name is Michael Miller and I am learning to make knives.

I really like the second very clean and classic looking

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    Also a more general question is: Which type of handle do you prefer? a more simple and clean handle or a more intricate handle with lots of burling? Lots of pieces and spacers, or just 2-3? I know this is a very subjective question, just wanted to get your opinion.
    I was asking myself similar questions lately and here's what I found so far. You'd better stick with simple design for a workhorse type of knives. I would refer to DT ITK knives as an example of simply and good looking handles. Most Japanease made workhorse knives are supplied with pretty simple black and white traditional handles… and there's a reason for that. Just by looking at the knife you can tell that it's a serious tool, not a kitchen toy. So take it as simple as possible.

The whole different story comes when we are speaking about knives, that aren't workhorses. The knives that you would polish to the mirror death and baby for the rest of your life. Those knives DO look better with fancy handles. Just by looking at those knives you would feel how awesome they are. And you'd want to take those knives into your hand just for the sake of holding. To feel awesomeness in your hand. So go for the craziest handle you could imagine!

Another thing which I never thought about until I started making handles is interest. Right now I'm making a new very simple handle for my Shigefusa and I'm bored. It's just 2 pieces of wood. Nothing special. The wood isn't special at all. Just boring to make. But it will look good. And I'm also making new handle on a small petty knife for my sister. And that handle is interesting because I tried to make curved wood joints along with triple spacers and really special wood. Can't say that I like such style of handles, but it's really interesting to do.

I see your point, but I disagree a little. There is no reason why a heavy use kitchen tool can't be pretty, and I have seen plenty of kitchen toys that weren't.

I guess my views on handles is: if they perform the same job equally well, but one is pretty/cool then why not have the cool looking one. Although there are trade offs between custom handles and factory (price, , balance in some cases, etc.) but generally durability is the same.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    I see your point, but I disagree a little. There is no reason why a heavy use kitchen tool can't be pretty, and I have seen plenty of kitchen toys that weren't.
    While is purely subjective let me make an analogy with cars for example.
    Here's Bentley
    Name:  2012-Bentley-EXP-9-F-Concept-Interior-1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  21.8 KB

Here's taxi

Both are just cars, but imagine for a second that taxi drivers starts using Bentleys. You take a taxi to nearest airport and they give you a bill for 12500$. Does it makes any sense?
    The same IMHO goes for knives. If DT start using mammoth tooth and golden pins for his ITK series it would cost 2-3 times more and would be a much less of a value for anyone, who needs knife for everyday cutting tasks.

Ahh. I wasn't even considering price right now. I was considering the differences between a fancy custom handle and a less fancy custom handle, so in my mind I was thinking of similar price points.

My bad.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

I like the bottom handle better. Great job on everything, by the way.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks!

Goko rehandle with claro walnut, micarta, and nickle silver spacer.

Here is one of those 2 handles. I am still looking for something to put the Redwood handle on. The forgie I had intended it for may not be good enough for it, since it has some pitting.

This is the claro walnut, nickle silver spacer, and micarta ferrule. It is on a stainless damascus Goko 240mm gyuto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140124_113538.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	21799

Name:	20140124_113550.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	21800

Name:	20140124_113600.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	21801

Name:	20140124_113614.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	21802

Name:	20140124_113642.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	21803

I have some epoxy dye on order so that will fix that epoxy mediocrity, but this is the cleanest tang hole I have made so far, so that is cool.

Great work!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Well… I see no flaws here. Looked hard enough but it just clean and nice. And of super right size