Hey. My name is Michael Miller and I am learning to make knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greasedbullet

Reaction score
I am currently making knives as a hobby and I have a lot to learn. I would love some constructive criticism on my work, and I have tons of questions to ask. I don't think I will be ready to sell anything for a while, but a pass around my be a possibility on the next batch of knives I am working on.

Anyway here are some pictures of some knives I have made.

This is a neck knife I made for a left handed friend of mine
20130530_170902.jpg

This is the first successful gyuto I made.
20130530_194442.jpg

This is a utility knife I made for a friend
20130615_124733(1).jpg

Here is the 2nd gyuto I made. It was a wedding gift for a friend.
20130608_132422.jpg

Another picture of the handle. Bloodwood ferrule, Quina handle and white spacers.
20130606_190507(1).jpg

Please let me know what you think. I have more knives in the works now so I will be adding more pictures soon-ish.

Congrats on the Hobbyist/Craftsman tag Michael!
Your stuff looks good. I'm pretty sure your "friend" there is a good judge of your work.
I look forward to seeing a lot of quality work from you.
Best of luck.

Hey Mike. Nice work. I'm always happy to see a new knife maker in the ranks. Keep em coming.

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

I'm sure you will learn a lot from the members here.

Look forward to seeing more pictures of your work!

Congratulations on hobbyist tag, it will be fun to follow your progress!

Nice work. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Cool! Welcome to the hobbyist tag world.

Congrats! Looking forward to a passaround!

Cheers!

Thanks for the greetings everyone. I haven't had much time to do a whole lot recently, but I should be able to start posting pictures of new stuff soon. I also have a collaboration with a fellow forum member that I will do a WIP thread on, but that will be a few weeks from now.

What tools are you using Michael?
I currently use a grizzly grinder, drill press, miter saw, angle grinder, and determination.

i like very much the pure line of your first gyuto.

welcome and good luck for the move, i'm in one too :)

Here is a rehandle I did for Daveb.

Malachite and Desert Ironwood with a black spacer.
20130722_161335.jpg

20130722_161346.jpg

Looks great. Is that real malachite?
If so, how easy is it to work with?

Thanks. I am not sure. Daveb provided the materials, but I think it is the composite. It was pretty easy to work with.

The malachite was composite from Jantz. Ironwood (on sale cheap!) from Mark. Mike brought the knife back to life.

20130730_115640.jpg

2nd attempt at a wa handle. Not too excited about how it turned out, but it does feel better than the one it came with. I think I am going to stick to western handles for a while, at least until my attempts at wa handles start looking acceptable.

CCK 1303 with Bloodwood and Marble wood.

That doesn't look to bad. Maybe just a hair fat, but I'm not a clever guy.

I disagree. I think you are very clever.
:lol2:

Thank you for the kind words Crothcipt. I was shooting for a much larger than normal handle for this. I think larger handles work better on cleavers, but that may just be me.

Here is a petty to match the gyuto I made him. 1095 steel 59-60hrc bloodwood and bocote.

20130802_124922.jpg

20130802_125147.jpg

Back