Quantcast
BackOrder Sale - All U Need Strop Kit - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BackOrder Sale - All U Need Strop Kit

that's great news dave!!

I used the leather only once today and have nothing new to report as it worked the same. I have a lot of sharpening to do this weekend as well as I'm teaching a 1 on 1 class on Monday so I should have a pretty good feeling for it by the end of all that. I'll report back on Tues.

Is it Tuesday yet?

Well I found a problem (figures right?) that the leather curls on the edges when it dries. I know this to a be a problem if leather is over saturated but that wasn't the case I don't believe. I'm going to test a 3rd pad being extra careful and see what happens. If it occurs again then this will need a fix before we can move on.

On a positive note the leather kicks ass for stropping.

Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Well I found a problem (figures right?) that the leather curls on the edges when it dries. I know this to a be a problem if leather is over saturated but that wasn't the case I don't believe. I'm going to test a 3rd pad being extra careful and see what happens. If it occurs again then this will need a fix before we can move on.

On a positive note the leather kicks ass for stropping.
    Hi Dave,

just a thought...

perhaps the leather could already be too dry.. and not supple anymore.I do oil my leather with mineral oil as I find that when dry it is too smooth anyway and does not bite.

It will dry up after a few hours and may may leave a thin layer of (invisible oil) Don't know how it will react to water based spray(?) I suppose you can wipe if off with alcohol .

May have to adjust your waiting time

good luck.

Well it seems that I was worried for nothing or maybe it's best said that there can be a problem but it can be avoided. I decided to not only try not to duplicate the problem of the leather curling but to also replicate it to know why it's happening.

I found that if I spritzed the leather from about 12" with a very light single coating at a time the leather will not curl. I've sprayed two different pads with 3 spritz coats (one at a time) each and the leather did not curl while drying.

To replicate the problem I wet one pad until the surface was completely darkened (2 coats at once) and this made the leather curl. I then sprayed one single light coating (the same to which I did on the previous tests that passed) on another pad and then spread (with my finger) the compound all over the surface to make it even in appearance - this also curled the leather.

So it seems that the problem is simply caused by making the leather pad too wet. It appears that a simple light coating left alone will not by itself curl the leather. Normally I wouldn't go for this because I'm concerned that making customers understand this concept is going to be problematic but in this case I find the leather to be worth the time to educate the consumer. I hate to think that we can't use this very good product simply for this reason.

I'm going to go ahead at this time and assemble the kits to ship for all backorders on the books and get them out ASAP. If there's any leftover I'll list them on the site for sale although maybe I should keep a couple on hand for the class on Sat as some of the guys might want them. In any event I'll be ordering more of these immediately so the wait will be minimum.

I have to give a big thank you to all of you who have been waiting so patiently for your backordered kits to become available. I've always said that I have the best customers and it's true.

Dave

All back orders will ship tomorrow. Sorry again to all of those who have been waiting so long. I hope that in the end the product quality and results you get from stropping will help to make this all feel better. I really do appreciate your willingness to hang on and wait for us, you guys are great.

PS - Check out this thread for information on what we found and did with the leather pad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    All back orders will ship tomorrow. Sorry again to all of those who have been waiting so long. I hope that in the end the product quality and results you get from stropping will help to make this all feel better. I really do appreciate your willingness to hang on and wait for us, you guys are great.

PS - Check out this thread for information on what we found and did with the leather pad situation.
    Dave, any kits left after shipping to back order customers? It's showing out of stock on your website. Can't wait to get the kit, especially after Saturday's class.

Thanks,
    Lyle

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Dave, any kits left after shipping to back order customers? It's showing out of stock on your website. Can't wait to get the kit, especially after Saturday's class.

Thanks,
    Lyle

Sorry Lyle the last one just went.

BTW, the leather you guys were using was way too dry, wait until you try it next time.

+ Reply to Thread