• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a 270 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greasedbullet

Reaction score
I am looking to get a 270 gyuto. I would prefer an Octagonal or D handle but I am not opposed to a western handle. Carbon or semi stainless is preferred. I would like to keep it on the lighter side because this will be my first 270mm. I would like to keep it under $200, but I can stretch it a little bit for something awesome.

Thanks,
Mike

would a hiromoto AS (non clad, full AS) please you?

you can get em by koki at JCK even if not officially sold. and it's cheap. western handle tho.

would a hiromoto AS (non clad, full AS) please you?

you can get em by koki at JCK even if not officially sold. and it's cheap. western handle tho.

what about a Carbonext?

I guess I was hoping to get something used or slightly abused that started out in a higher price range. I have looked at most of what I can get new for this price range. Although that Solid AS Hiromoto sounds intriguing.

well, full HiroAS is just what it claims: awesome bang for buck. you have experienced but not elite craft with super blue steel. probably very reactive blade tho if not cladded.

i haven't tryed the carbonext series but everyone seems happy with them too. i suspect coqavin to be around the same frech forums i'm :p

look at salty's sale there are very fancy gyutos (if left!) but expect to pay more than $200

Those have all been sold except for a few yanagis and a nakiri. Thats also why I put the caveat that I can stretch higher if something awesome is offered. I would have totally bought Salty's Ealy in that sale for instance.

and it would probably have been an awesome choice ;)

Tanaka on metal master has vg10 for 170. But if you go with blue #2 its 220. Its close, but keeps coming to mind when I see this thread.

ecchef-
Possibly. I am very open minded at this point. I am looking for something to give me the feel for 270's and to see if I like them as much as 240's or not. What did you have in mind?

Crothcipt-
We may have a winner with the Tanaka blue 270, I'll wait some to see is any used knives come up. Thanks.

I have the 240 Sekiso damascus...Its outstanding. Very thin behind the edge with great edge retention. Cuts like a dream :)

Chris

Back