Quantcast
Pick of the Litter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick of the Litter

Pick of the Litter

We've all read about certain knives that somehow have everything clicking: beautiful grind, terrific in-hand feel, nice looks, flawless fit and finish, and the list can go on and on. For whatever reason, these knives stand out above the rest - even in the same batch, by the same maker. You often hear about the maker declaring, "you want a special knife? Well, this is the one you should buy". I believe Murray Carter calls them his "Premium" knives, of which I have one. It's a special piece, for sure...with that being said, I really really like it, but can't justify keeping it around, just for fun. Eventually, you'll find it on my site, and the new owner will be very lucky, and happy to have bought it.

I recently got 10 Shigefusas and one Yoshihide, all destined for you guys. I have looked them all over very thoroughly, and without going into specifics, they are all gorgeous blades, with terrific craftsmanship. The grinds, in general, are stellar. The feeling, terrific. As we all know, Shigefusa is one of the "Grail Knives", and I fully understand why. Not surprisingly, I have a feeling I'll be keeping one for my own kitchen, to love and ogle, for years to come. What has surprised me, however, is which knife it is that's made me a little kid. The knife I'm talking about is a 195mm Santoku. Yes, a SANTOKU! I've said before, I'm not a santoku guy. I wasn't, at least...hell, I'm still not, but this little gal has stolen my heart. It's a wonderful size for home use, the look is just incredible, and when I first grabbed it, I went, "Damn...this isn't good". I'm mesmerized by the grind, and while I can't quite put it into words, it just feels like it's supposed to stay with me. I cracked, and used it to prepare lunch, and it was everything I thought it would be. Here are two pictures I snapped on my phone:

I'm not sure what exactly made me feel I should share with you all that I'm smitten with a santoku, but I will leave you with one thing: don't write off a knife because it isn't the chic choice, or because you've decided that the style isn't what you like. Had I done that, I never would have discovered my new flame.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Okay, the Shig santoku is cool, but if I find you've been using a Guy Fieri Knuckle Sandwich, well ...
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Well something that is my "holy grail-list"(maybe more a "this would be a great thing to have in the kitchen and it's 100% resonable because the better half know how much I want one-list") is a brand new western Shigefusa or Yoshihide 240mm... my credit card just waits for that day.

It was hard to part with the western sujis and pettys I made for maxim this winter...
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][I]-"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"[/I][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Had I done that, I never would have discovered my new flame.
    If you love something, let it go: http://sharpandshinyshop.com/collections/knives

Okay Lefty, I know I've said in the past that santokus were for girls. I think the shig is a serious exception. That is the ultimate santoku.

congrats on your new found love of the chick knives
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

That is a nice looking knife, even if it is a santoku.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    Okay Lefty, I know I've said in the past that santokus were for girls. I think the shig is a serious exception. That is the ultimate santoku.

That more like it Brad!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post

And a sexy chick she is
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

im picking up a KU nikiri from saltydog hopefully. I cant wait to try out the shigs... I just hope I don't become addicted!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller