Pick of the Litter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
We've all read about certain knives that somehow have everything clicking: beautiful grind, terrific in-hand feel, nice looks, flawless fit and finish, and the list can go on and on. For whatever reason, these knives stand out above the rest - even in the same batch, by the same maker. You often hear about the maker declaring, "you want a special knife? Well, this is the one you should buy". I believe Murray Carter calls them his "Premium" knives, of which I have one. It's a special piece, for sure...with that being said, I really really like it, but can't justify keeping it around, just for fun. Eventually, you'll find it on my site, and the new owner will be very lucky, and happy to have bought it.

I recently got 10 Shigefusas and one Yoshihide, all destined for you guys. I have looked them all over very thoroughly, and without going into specifics, they are all gorgeous blades, with terrific craftsmanship. The grinds, in general, are stellar. The feeling, terrific. As we all know, Shigefusa is one of the "Grail Knives", and I fully understand why. Not surprisingly, I have a feeling I'll be keeping one for my own kitchen, to love and ogle, for years to come. What has surprised me, however, is which knife it is that's made me a little kid. The knife I'm talking about is a 195mm Santoku. Yes, a SANTOKU! I've said before, I'm not a santoku guy. I wasn't, at least...hell, I'm still not, but this little gal has stolen my heart. It's a wonderful size for home use, the look is just incredible, and when I first grabbed it, I went, "Damn...this isn't good". I'm mesmerized by the grind, and while I can't quite put it into words, it just feels like it's supposed to stay with me. I cracked, and used it to prepare lunch, and it was everything I thought it would be. Here are two pictures I snapped on my phone:

6C098132-43C7-42C5-A53E-1B12F611302F-2416-000002AACD60827C.jpg

BC42D600-47A6-4EAA-959A-C55FE039B6FB-2416-000002AAD511E7EB.jpg

I'm not sure what exactly made me feel I should share with you all that I'm smitten with a santoku, but I will leave you with one thing: don't write off a knife because it isn't the chic choice, or because you've decided that the style isn't what you like. Had I done that, I never would have discovered my new flame.

Well something that is my "holy grail-list"(maybe more a "this would be a great thing to have in the kitchen and it's 100% resonable because the better half know how much I want one-list") is a brand new western Shigefusa or Yoshihide 240mm... my credit card just waits for that day. :D

It was hard to part with the western sujis and pettys I made for maxim this winter... :(

Okay Lefty, I know I've said in the past that santokus were for girls. I think the shig is a serious exception. That is the ultimate santoku.

congrats on your new found love of the chick knives

That is a nice looking knife, even if it is a santoku.

Okay Lefty, I know I've said in the past that santokus were for girls. I think the shig is a serious exception. That is the ultimate santoku.

That more like it Brad!:hungry:

And a sexy chick she is:groucho:

im picking up a KU nikiri from saltydog hopefully. I cant wait to try out the shigs... I just hope I don't become addicted!

A definite sign of addition would be purchasing 3 within 1 week. Surely you haven't evern done that.

I dare someone to buy 9 in one week.... :D

Back