Quantcast
Shig clone in mono stainless like AEB-L - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shig clone in mono stainless like AEB-L

I'm off, for the day, but I did want to add two quick things to this thread. The first being that, I believe it was panda, is correct. From the double bevels I've been looking at, there is a hollow about 2/3rds of the way up the right face, with more convexing on the lefthand side. The second is that I'm surprised that the newer Shiges are better cutters than the older ones. The santoku I just stole from myself is approximately 8-10 years old, and the grind really impressed me. I didn't notice a hollow on it, however, so maybe that's part of the tweaked grind?

Anywho, tee-time is at 8am....

PS. I just re checked the santoku and it's there, but not as obviously.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

maybe the two sons spend less time polishing and concentrating more on making them better cutters! i dont really care about finish at all as long as food doesnt stick.

I think Shigefusa started tweaking their grind because of this forum, as users' preferences finally trickled down to the maker. Thinner is very subjective. .5mm might seem like a small number, but it makes a big difference in cutting performance.

I have tried several generations of Shiges with latest giving the most impressive performance. However, somebody perhaps finds earlier version more appealing as change in one things in geometry usually results in a change to something else, and those could be subjective things.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

For Shigefusa it will be no problem to polish mono steel knife. It will be same as for him polishing San Mai
    As all polishing is done before heat tread with files, sen and stones. After heat tread knife is they do final polishing. And believe me they way they do it dose not madder much if blade is san mai or mono steel.

Mono steel knives like Masamoto KS or others is considered much easier to make with much more Profit, they do not need any forging or special heat tread to make them stay straight.
    Unlike Honyakis witch is forged and hardened with different hardening is way more expensive to make then San Mai !

So if you talking about Profit then mono steel knives is much easier to make and request a lot less time !

The subject of copying another's work is very complex and interesting. It is impossible to make a knife without copying somebody's work. If a person were able to make a knife totally by him self, it probably would not function very well.

In Japan there is the idea that you have to apprentice with a master in order to become great at something. The master picks his students carefully in order to carry on his ideas and innovations.

The truth is that everyone copy's someone else's work. A person copy's everyone else but wants the copying to stop as soon as he comes up with a good, innovative idea himself.

The family creating Shigefusa learned from others how to forge, grind, heat treat, polish and even how to run a business. They have their own style and have improved from their experience.

We recently had a nasty thread about Ken Onion's knives, and what seems to bother most people is the fact that he did not copy others but designed his own knives. How dare he try and come up with something new.

It's smart to copy other's work. I never like it when it happens to me, but I am guilty of taking ideas from other makers. I made knives as a kid without much help and it was not until I worked with a professional maker that my biggest improvement came.

An abundant mentality is a lot more productive than a scarcity mentality. It is when we take without giving back that problems arise.

Love and respect

Hoss

I agree on many levels !
    There is a huge difference of learning from someone how to forge polish etc. and just steal ideas
    I know it can be quite hard to see the difference but its there.
    Like you said
    It is when we take without giving back that problems arise.
    Also just have common sense and respect to each other can help a lot

I think new ideas and unique knives in many cases tell a lot about blacksmith ! That he trying to be unique is a very brave step and shows in many cases that he is not there just for the money.

I'm confused, are you saying that asking my asking if someone makes a knife with similar geometry to a shig in a stainless steel not a reasonable question?

(In fact having gotten the feedback here, I am ordering one of Marko's custom knives in AEB-L for exactly that reason. It will not be identical to a shig but it will have a geometry that gives similar results - and that is what I was looking for.)

I have a wa shig, I love it, I will soon have a yo handled damascus shig that I will love as well. I just wanted something like a shig geometry in stainless for the times I want a stainless knife.... If I could buy one from them, I would but they don't do stainless obviously....

It's posts like this that keep me coming back to this forum. Thank you for you wisdom. I'm sure Marko and Devin could produce exactly what you're looking for. I look forward to when it!s my turn for a DT and Marko knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    The subject of copying another's work is very complex and interesting. It is impossible to make a knife without copying somebody's work. If a person were able to make a knife totally by him self, it probably would not function very well.

In Japan there is the idea that you have to apprentice with a master in order to become great at something. The master picks his students carefully in order to carry on his ideas and innovations.

The truth is that everyone copy's someone else's work. A person copy's everyone else but wants the copying to stop as soon as he comes up with a good, innovative idea himself.

The family creating Shigefusa learned from others how to forge, grind, heat treat, polish and even how to run a business. They have their own style and have improved from their experience.

We recently had a nasty thread about Ken Onion's knives, and what seems to bother most people is the fact that he did not copy others but designed his own knives. How dare he try and come up with something new.

It's smart to copy other's work. I never like it when it happens to me, but I am guilty of taking ideas from other makers. I made knives as a kid without much help and it was not until I worked with a professional maker that my biggest improvement came.

An abundant mentality is a lot more productive than a scarcity mentality. It is when we take without giving back that problems arise.

Love and respect

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    It's posts like this that keep me coming back to this forum. Thank you for you wisdom. I'm sure Marko and Devin could produce exactly what you're looking for. I look forward to when it!s my turn for a DT and Marko knife.
    I tried 4 different geometries before I settled on one I use now. I don't copy blindly, it has to make sense to me - where pros outweight cons. From as little as I know, every geometry has cons.

Things that I look for in geometries:

-Food release
    -Long term maintenance (ease of thinning by hand, so the knife is functional)
    -Sturdiness

I adopted a few things from Shigefusa geometry (I have no idea how they do it, but I took a concept and made it work), a few things from DT geometry, a profile from Masamoto (altered). I don't do these 1:1, the result is a blend of all.

I agree with Devin to a word in his post in this thread.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com