Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shig clone in mono stainless like AEB-L

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Marko this thread is what I was trying to get across on this thread.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post219736

I wasn't meaning you couldn't, but it wasn't/isn't your way of making one.

I do want to see your final result with that knife tho.
    Chewie's the man.

Many could make a copy (and people copy all the time for that matter, think Loveless drop point), but going by the saying "Greeks didn't invented anything, but everything they copied, they improved upon", is it worth it?

The final result will be different, as I am out of the mode of proving things, and back to the mode of "does it make sense?". I stated that and reasons behind in a later post in that thread.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    (In fact having gotten the feedback here, I am ordering one of Marko's custom knives in AEB-L for exactly that reason. It will not be identical to a shig but it will have a geometry that gives similar results - and that is what I was looking for.)
    I'm sure you will be very happy with your choice. I wouldn't of recommend Marko if I did not think he was a perfect match for your needs. He places a lot of attention to fit and finish and is truly a perfectionist (much like Shigefusa). I love two different knives 1) Masamoto for its profile 2) Shigefusa for its geometry. Having owned both, one of Marko's knives is next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I have a wa Shig and I do love it, I even have a Shig damascus with a yo(!) handle that will be coming to me soon that I got a Japanese friend to order for me from Kiya in Japan. (Luckily while they don't seem to make many yo's anymore-especially in damascus-Kiya seems to have some extra pull with them and they made it for me, I'm chomping at the bit to get it-it should be here by the end of the month.)

Still, I was thinking it would be insanely cool if I could buy a Shig profile knife in a high end stainless steel like AEB-L . Have any of the custom makers here made something close to this? Even better is there any semi custom knife that is close to a Shig profile that is in a mono stainless?
    How could you not want a stainless shigi!!!...... I know I was tired of using my stinky ass... rusting...food coloring...turd...hmm....sorry no love for the shigi cladding...

I have to add her Marko's knives do in fact have influences from shigefusa, on some levels and some surpass and some do not.

When i used a shig last year it has been the only knife that really just felt like an extension of my hand. not because of the handle because it was nothing special and im still not sure why but it just felt like the tool was intended to be in my hand and used any way i wanted to.

Now in terms of steel in my opinion Marko's carbon is way better! Shig had decent edge retention and got really sharp, but my Marko custom gets sharp like white steel but holds and edge like crazy, i mean probably equivalent of 5-6 sharpening of shig to one of his.

Food release- i would say this is pretty close, almost a tie. Both are pretty good.

But i agree with Mario i mean stainless like cpm154 or stainless that can perform i will choose over carbon every time less hassle equals more time working in the kitchen.

would love to try his 52100 steel, how was it on the stones? beauty of shig's steel is that it's so damn easy to sharpen with the best 'feel' on stones.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    would love to try his 52100 steel, how was it on the stones? beauty of shig's steel is that it's so damn easy to sharpen with the best 'feel' on stones.
    I will have a few ready-made 225mm gyutos in 52100 and A2 out by the end of the month. I would ask folks for feedback and reviews and criticism, private or public, and if somebody want to do a passround, I am all for it.

But again, these are not Shig or Masamoto or DT clones, but rather the melting pot of things I like.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    super easy to sharpen, with my gesshin 4k literally 6 strokes and have a big nice burr, burr removal isnt an issue either, maybe i have gotten better at sharpening or is easy to remove on his steel.

I would compare to white steel if even easier honestly.

wow, and edge retention more like blue?

No better I get about 2-3 months in between sharpenings. I do strop on diamond every two weeks or so. And I use it everyday hard. Great steel, great knife!!