Quantcast
Takeda 240 Gyuto Passaround - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Takeda 240 Gyuto Passaround

Apologies guys. I'm in the middle of a divorce and I haven't checked in here very much, so I missed this.

Yes! It arrived safely, and I've put it to a little use so far. Probably the most "workhorse" type knife that I've used so far. I definitely am starting to get it though. Super nice for flying through onions, potatoes, etc. Going to make one more big meal with it (did 5 gal of chili for my gun club on saturday), then ship it off.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Fed Ex says the knife was delivered, Danny can you confirm?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Here's a few quick thoughts about the Takeda. I personally didn't think the profile was a problem as I had 0 accordion cuts with my push cut technique. I love the height of the blade and the grind was fantastic! I had a blast cutting everything I could get my hands on, and I am seriously considering buying one for myself. The handle was a tad bit on the slim side and would probably want a slighter thicker handle. The glue did not bother me one bit, but I can see why some people complain. I did not sharpen the blade, but whoever put the edge on before me did a hell of a nice job! Oh and based not his knife I can say that AS steel is an amazing performer!

If the owner decides to get rid of the knife I may be interested!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

i recieved the knife today. inital impressions are very good. for the most part.

okay...so far so good. i hope the OP doesnt mind but i wanted to touch up the edge just slightly, so i did a quick gesshin2k>gesshin 4k progression. actually i shouldve started on a little lower grit stone but nevertheless like all takedas ive used the edge sharpens up easily. this particular knife seems geared towards rock chopping, i can push cut with it too but it seems like the sweet spot is only and inch or 2 long. i found the handle to be comfortable,yet smaller than most i use-but this knife is also lighter than most knives i use lately so it feels nice. the gunk around the ferrule is at a minimum on this one but that doesnt really make much difference to me.
    The grind is different from the other takedas ive seen. upon first inspection i thought the blade had a long flat grind, but after looking closer there seems to be dips into the grind on both sides,these dips also happen to be asymetrical. the shinogi line is closer to the edge than any other knife ive ever used. this has to be one of the "newer grinds" that dave was referring to in another thread. i dont particularly dislike the grind actually, it lends itself to having super nice food release,but the consequence is you lose alittle pure cutting ability. if i could, i would raise that shinogi line some im just not to into the idea of a teeny tiny blade road. the stout shoulders on both sides of the blade make the knife pleasant to use and efficent, i dont need to stop and remove stuck on food from the blade hardly at all. i didnt like the resistance i felt when i fine diced an onion but that was prior to touching it up some. it feels and cuts like a light weight workhorse.
    takedas profile,spine thickness, and grind seems to be somewhat inconsistent. whenever i finally order one i will definitely go custom so i can get what i want exactly and not have to take my chances with a vendors inventory. or test drive a used one.

yeah i dont really need to use this knife any longer, ive pretty developed my opinion in 2 days. dardeau, im gonna drop it off today at the post office. bkdc thanks again for the opportunity!

one last observation...the kurouchi does a fine job of protecting against reactivity,and im not sure how much of an additional advantage it would be to get a stainless clad newer one. personally, i would prefer a carbon clad one just for the easier thinning sessions.

Looking forward to it!

Received today. No time to cook today, but like what I see so far.

I'll be passing this along tomorrow, if I don't leave it at home like I did today. This is a really cool knife, with an interesting grind, but I found myself reaching for my Itinomonn over the Takeda every time. I Wish I could have given it some time at work, maybe it would be better suited to some of those tasks I just don't do at home. Thanks for the PA!