Salad.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad eats like crap, but the last time he visited he loved a salad i made so much that he said it was the best one he has ever had. Now considering that he still eats rolled up boloney as a snack, that might not be a compliment but I appreciated it.

Anyone have an awesome salad they do or have some special ingredients they love to add?

k.

A shaved kale salad:

You want the ruffuly part so you get one of your super sharp sujis and shave the ruffles, maybe add some of the other finely chopped so you don't waste it but texture is the goal.

Roasted red pepper

Radish thinly sliced with a usuba

Feta cheese

Cherry tomatoes sliced with above suji

Toasted pine nuts

I like a white balsamic vinaigrette but anything toward the sweeter side works

Yes. Salade tunisienne. Have a look here and just use google translate http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recettes/3086-salade-de-thon-a-la-tunisienne

The backbone of this recipe is pretty standard, but the cumin, coriander, capers and olives are less so. You don't always encounter those, but you do always find fresh mint in it and maybe some parsley too. I'd add some apple as it combines very well with the mint.

Of course, Tunisian tomatoes, olive oil, etc, can have a special quality - oh, and definitely their tuna - so good luck. But still lots of fun dicing is involved and it's still always great.

I’ve got lots of salads I love to make, but for now;

My Signature Salad (sorry I don’t have any pics of one);

Bib lettuce (preferable the live stuff) – cut the leaves down the rib, and then across the rib into quarters
Radicchio – peel the leaves off the head whole, stack them up and slice into ¼” wide slivers
Belgian endive – cut the root end off, peel the leaves off whole, stack them on top of each other and slice into 1/8” slivers
Apple – a good crisp apple, like honey crisp or Braeburn (not red delicious) – julienne

Walnuts – whole ½ pieces, roughly chopped
Dried cranberries
Blue cheese – roughly crumbled

Dressing;
Shallot – julienne or minced, your preference – 1 medium
Lime juice – ‘bout 2-3 tblsp
Dijon/whole grain mustard – ‘bout 1 tblsp
Honey – ‘bout 1 tblsp
Olive oil (or your choice of neutral oil; I’d stay away f/ flavored oils like walnut or truffle for this one, but do as you please)– ‘bout 2-3 tblsp
Celtic sea salt & fresh ground black pepper

Combine shallot and lime juice in a bowl first while you add all other ingredients, except oil. Taste and adjust as needed. After all is combined, add oil and wisk to emulsify.

Toss all lettuces and apple together in a large bowl.

Top w/ walnuts, cranberries and cheese.

Drizzle dressing on top, and gently toss with clean hands to combine. The dressing melts the cheese a little bit, and combines w/ it. Don’t add all the dressing at once. Add more as needed, and as much as you like you salad dressed.

Serve w/ a grilled rustic whole grain bread rubbed w/ a garlic clove.

This is something I make about once a week and everyone likes it in our house.
Great meal for a hot day.

1st I cut up about a pound of chicken thigh meat into bite sized chunks.
Saute them till I get a color change all the way through, but not overcooked.
Drain off the fat and dump the chicken into a large bowl.
Next I pour a container of Newman's Family Recipe Italian dressing in the bowl.

Next I take 2 ripe Haas Avocados. Cut in half, then with a butter knife I cube the avocados and scrape out of the skin into the bowl with the chicken and dressing. The warm chicken and dressing help the avocado to break down into a paste that thickens the dressing.

Finally I dice up 1/2 a red onion, 4 roma tomatoes, 1 english cucumber (snap peas when I can get them) and mix everything together. Last I put the bowl in the fridge to cool the mixture. When it's cool it's ready to serve.

Sometimes instead of chicken I will use blanched almond slivers or cheese tortellini.
Anything left over gets used as a regular green salad topping the next day.

Chicken Salad
Lettuce of your choice
Teriyaki-marinated chicken breast and/or thigh strips, stir-fried and chilled
Assorted vegetables (Chinese Broccoli, carrots, red peppers, scallions or whatever else you want), stir-fried and chilled
Bunch of Champagne grapes
Honey-yogurt dressing with a touch of grainy mustard.
Toasted sesame seeds

Lay down a base of lettuce leaves and top with teriyaki chicken and vegetable, drizzle with the honey-yogurt dressing and toasted sesame seeds, Champagne grapes beside.

Great with a side of garlic toast or griddled focaccia spears.

Another good one:

Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, mushrooms, roasted corn, hard boiled egg, shredded mozzarella and green goddess dressing.

Hmm... not too fond of meat on my salads. Tuna, achovy yes, but all this chicken... We eat enough of it these days, I say. I like the meatless signature and shaved kale salads above It's a about vegetables, d'mit.

Butter lettuce, strawberries sliced thinly, fresh chèvre, shaved roasted almonds, lemon vinaigrette-lemon juice, lemon zest, evoo,salt and white pepper to taste.

I'm very fond of this Mexican salad from Gourmet magazine many years back. It's often the side salad for my burrito or enchiladas:

Romaine lettuce, diced avocado, julienned red onion and shaved radishes with a fresh lemon vinaigrette.

Grilled vegetable salad:

Grilled red onions, red and yellow peppers, zucchini, eggplant and sliced portabella mushrooms topped with soft goat cheese and balsamic reduction.

My salads are usually pretty simple: baby spinach (sometimes in a chiffonade), tomatoes (wedges or diced), cucumber (work on a pin cut for this), radishes (usually rounds). I make my own dressing from garlic paste, salt, cracked pepper, mustard, lemon/lime and evoo. By varying the amount of lemon/lime to EVOO you can control the acidity to match mood and the rest of the meal...ditto the mustard. I usually toss the spinach with the dressing to coat, then put the veg on top and drizzle a little more dressing. Also, I like bacos on this..the fake ones, made from soy. Gives a little hard crunch and a little smoky flavor.

Also, this dressing is excellent on grilled pork...and not too bad on chicken. Been making variations on this 2-3 nights/week in the summer for the last 12+ years.

Hmm... not too fond of meat on my salads. Tuna, achovy yes, but all this chicken... We eat enough of it these days, I say. I like the meatless signature and shaved kale salads above It's a about vegetables, d'mit.

d7d

Some of us like salads with meat. If we didn't, we would likely starve during the Summer months when it's too bloody hot to use the range.

d7d

Some of us like salads with meat. If we didn't, we would likely starve during the Summer months when it's too bloody hot to use the range.

Ha Ha!!! Some of us LOVE IT!!!..... I have been living off vegie salads with Large portions of tenderloins for 13 weeks now!!

Really nice lettuce, toasted levain rubbed with garlic, sliced red onions, granola, feta, simple vinaigrette.

I'd take all the meats mentioned, bread'em and fry'em all up in a cast iron skillet, make mashed potatoes and gravy, and some corn on the cob. Take all that other stuff mentioned (half of which is found in way less than half of the kitchens in America) and throw it out the back for the rabbits and hogs. ;-)

My go to salad at home right now is a quinoa and farro tabbouleh, good as a dinner side with slow cooked lamb, or a light lunch with some grilled haloumi.

I like a hearty wintery lentil vinaigrette as well. Du puy lentils, bacon, tiny croutons, cornichon, griottine cherries, celeriac, carrot, and maybe an egg ...

My go to salad at home right now is a quinoa and farro tabbouleh, good as a dinner side with slow cooked lamb, or a light lunch with some grilled haloumi.

I like a hearty wintery lentil vinaigrette as well. Du puy lentils, bacon, tiny croutons, cornichon, griottine cherries, celeriac, carrot, and maybe an egg ...

I do love a good taboleh, but with lots of parsley and only a little bulgur.

Yep, and flat leaf parsley too, so you can eat a lot of it without it becoming overwhelming.

I'd take all the meats mentioned, bread'em and fry'em all up in a cast iron skillet, make mashed potatoes and gravy, and some corn on the cob. Take all that other stuff mentioned (half of which is found in way less than half of the kitchens in America) and throw it out the back for the rabbits and hogs. ;-)
Gotta have your roughage.
......keeps you regular.

A wedge of cold Iceberg lettuce, homemade blue cheese dressing, topped with bacon lardon, some ripe red tomatoes, a little chopped red onion and sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.

green papaya, thai salad.. the scariest thing about this salad for me is the Mandoline..(shiver!)

but i love making this salad. if you need protein, a grilled skirt steak sliced super thin against the grain looks and taste great perched on top.

Mandoline? Is your knife broken?

Salad looks great!

Back