Quantcast
Salad. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Salad.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    green papaya, thai salad.. the scariest thing about this salad for me is the Mandoline..(shiver!)

but i love making this salad. if you need protein, a grilled skirt steak sliced super thin against the grain looks and taste great perched on top.

When I worked at Royal Barge Thai in Phoenix the old lady would make this salad everyday. She never used the mandoline. She would hold the papaya in one hand and with the other she would take a giant Thai Cleaver and whack the papaya about a million times and then shave paper thin noodles away from her. Then all the ingredients would go into a mortar and pestle and she would toss the papaya in. ooooh baby!!!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

our most popular salad at work CK14 salad

2cups organic baby arugula
    1/2 julliened granny smith apple
    1/4 cup dried Michigan sour cherries
    1/4 cup whole raw pecans
    1 1/2 oz cave aged English cheddar crumbles
    housemade apple cider vinaigrette.
    seasalt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper

Damn good salad
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

yea, i was walking around in thaland and saw a lady about to give a cooking class. she saw me staring in the window and waved me and my wife in. i saw the ingredients laid out, and plopped down money right there and then.

first thing she taught us was this salad. she did it with a knife too!! i am not that skilled, yet.

mandoline city at my home for now.

Baby iceberg, cut into sixths - wedges, dress with shaved white onion, white anchovy, grated hard boiled egg, caper berries, lots of soft herbs, aioli, breakfast radish, maybe some grilled pencil thin baby leeks.

Tonight I did mesclun greens with humboldt fog, candied macadamia nuts, local blueberries and a meyer lemon vinaigrette.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    our most popular salad at work CK14 salad

2cups organic baby arugula
    1/2 julliened granny smith apple
    1/4 cup dried Michigan sour cherries
    1/4 cup whole raw pecans
    1 1/2 oz cave aged English cheddar crumbles
    housemade apple cider vinaigrette.
    seasalt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper

Damn good salad
    This is the closest in ingredients and concept for that salad I made that night for my father. Different cheese, nut, and apple (goat, pistachio, and fuji). Sometimes I change out jicama for the apple. I have also started to used hulled watermelon seeds instead of nuts. I like how seeds adhere to the lettuce leaves.

Other things I like to add: tarragon is my favorite herb and pickled mustard seeds give a pop.

I rarely like any sort of crouton, but lightly sautÚing some cubed bread in oil with paprika is nice for a bit of spice. I even sautÚ the bread cubes in broken down, melted anchovies and oil for caesar salad. My wife doesn't care for anchovies, so this provides one more opportunity to pick our or 'manage' how much anchovies are in her salad.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

All too healthy for me. How about a 'Schweizer Wurstsalad'? Cut something like bologna (or polish sausage etc), Emmental Swiss cheese, onion, pickles into strips somewhere between julienne and batonnet; marinate at least a couple of hours in a vinaigrette that is a bit on the sour side, you can also add a splash of the pickle juice. Best with a fresh rye bread from the brick oven and a fresh beer from the tab.

That said, I also enjoy a classic salade nicoise, a simple but fresh caprese, or just some endive fresh from my Mom's garden. She makes it with this great sauce that has sour cream in it and she binds it with a mashed boiled potato - sounds weird but one of my favorites. And don't get me started on potato salad...

Stefan

Conversely I also made a Bacon Buffalo Shrimp composed salad today as well. Shrimp, Bacon, Rick's Original Honey Buffalo Sauce, Maytag Bleu, Diced Celery and Red Onion. Win.

Also Marinated Flank Steak Composed Salad. Grilled Flank diced, Grilled Red Onion diced, Cherry Tomatoes halved, Scallions, Diced Mango, Cheddar Crumbled, Balsamic Vinaigrette.

There was also a chicken, corn, ranch concoction as well.