Quantcast
Wedding Present - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wedding Present

Misono Molybdenum 210 gyuto is $90. I like the profile of Misono gyutos, good fit and finish. The matching parer is $59.

As good a choice for non-knife nuts as any I reckon.

Togiharu Inox at Korin are tough, take a good edge and are thinner than most western handled knives. 15% off until the end of July too I believe, putting a 210 in the sub-$100 category.

The Suisin western inox knives are in your price bracket and are pretty highly thought of around here.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A bit thicker is an understatement - the knife is ROBUST.

I love the way these knives are perceived as value leaders. Pathetic grind for a gyuto really, surely cuts like a dog. And before someone chimes in "you can thin it blah blah" - 99% of the people buying these are not going to have anywhere near like the skill required to do the work.

I have a cold chisel that looks like that.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Misono Molybdenum 210 gyuto is $90. I like the profile of Misono gyutos, good fit and finish. The matching parer is $59.

As good a choice for non-knife nuts as any I reckon.
    I forgot about the Misono Moly line. Misono's are well thought of by many members here (except for the UX10 line which is WAY overpriced). I would imagine that's a good gyuto for the price. Also, if I recall reading here correctly, the fit and finish are good and the out of the box edge is also good.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I forgot about the Misono Moly line. Misono's are well thought of by many members here (except for the UX10 line which is WAY overpriced). I would imagine that's a good gyuto for the price. Also, if I recall reading here correctly, the fit and finish are good and the out of the box edge is also good.
    I think Misono went "off-the-radar" a bit as they were the first maker to announce a big price hike (around 50% I believe) a couple of years back, even though many have since followed suit. Before this the Moly was pretty popular.

I know Lefty thinks very highly of the Moly. The ones I have seen do have good F&F.

There's been a recent price drop following the drop in the yen, the moly and Swedish lines are probably well placed price-wise now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    And before someone chimes in "you can thin it blah blah" - 99% of the people buying these are not going to have anywhere near like the skill required to do the work.
    +1 I completely agree with this.

I finally thinned my test knife - a Global G-2 - for the first time ever last month after having that knife for 10 years. I had sharpened that knife dozens of times, but never thinned the original bevels.

And, to be honest, while it was a lot easier than I expected, I think that's only because I've been really working on my freehand sharpening now for about two years on a regular (monthly) basis. I feel like it takes practice to know where the shoulder of the bevel is, a light touch, and consistent pressure to abrade the shoulders of edge consistently, and the same skills to blend the edge. (I'm not even sure I did that nice of a job, but I can say that the performance was greatly improved, the bevel was relatively consistent all along the edge, and it looked decent to me.)

It's unreasonable, IMHO, to expect or require a regular user to have to thin a brand new knife to get it to perform well.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"