Greetings from the Canadian Best Coast (I mean west coast)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyutoguy

Reaction score
Salutations,

Live in BC, love food, love knives, love to cook. A natural fit is nice kitchen knives! I got into J-knives by accident. I was gifted a santoku cutco knife as a wedding present. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I started reading about cutco's, and quickly realized that they are over prices, sub-par POS's. I tried a shun gyuto at a friends house, and was instantly hooked. Shun, a vast step up from Cutco, (but still over-priced) got me interested in gyutos. After much lurking on websites such as this, I decided to purchase a couple of Fujiwaras in 2011. I haven't looked back since :)

Next couple of knives i'd like to try out are a honesuki, and a Richmond Artifex Gyuto in M390.

Welcome!

And unless you have tremendous self-restraint, enjoy the knife ride and ignore the sounds of discomfort your wallet will make :D

Welcome fellow British Columbian! Always excellent to see a fellow canuck on the forum.

Welcome to KFF!

Have you thought of carbon?

Make sure to get a good sharpening set!

Welcome to KFF!

Have you thought of carbon?

Make sure to get a good sharpening set!

I have a Tojiro Nakiri in White #2 that I like, and a decent set of whet stones I got from my dad. 800, 1000, 4000, 8000 grit. all of them are 3" by 8"

Also have an 8000 grit ceramic plate, a super fine ceramic rod, a DMT Extra Coarse/Coarse diamond plate (I think they are 200 and 400 grit) (~2 by 6"), a DMT 800/1200 Diamond Plate (~3 x 6") , some home brew bench strops (full grain leather, 4" wide, 12" long mounted on 3/4" MDF) and a couple of sharpening kits I never use.

I generally only ever use the 1k,4k, 8k whetstones, and the ceramic rod. I acquired all the other stuff through good deals, garage sales and derp moments.

Latest posts

Back