filling checks and voids in an endgrain cutting board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleue

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased a large piece (roughly 2'x5' I believe) of cherry end grain from a woodworker who had it laying around his shop for some time. There are a few small cracks and checks, none over 1/8" in width that I'd like to fill prior to final sanding/finishing. What would you guys recommend? He recommended something along the lines of shellacking it and sanding it.

Send me a photo and I will give you my opinion.
boardsmith at triad.rr.com

Typically small surface checks can be easily and effectively filled in with CA (crazy) glue. Something that's approaching an 1/8" might be a little big for that type of treatment. If you could generate some sawdust from the piece and mix it in with the CA that might work to give it a little more body and blend in with the surface. A picture of the piece and the voids would help the diagnosis.

I don't think we want to put Ca glue or any type of epoxy on a cutiing board where food is being prepared.

I am doubting that it is end grain.
5' would be some sort of record for a cherry tree. Even 2' wide is a pretty big cherry tree.
If the checks are minor you might not want to fill, just sand the piece.
Photos would definitely help.

If you have an end grain circular slab (aka Chinese cutting block), checks and cracks is a normal outcome as the wood dries.

I would not use any filler except dense mixture of natural waxes and mineral oil. Keep the board conditioned with mineral oil regularly.

will try to get a photo up asap. the board is not a solid piece of end grain cherry for those who are picturing it as such, it is a cutting board of glued up pieces of cherry in a semi random pattern, in the standard butcherblock configuration though not uniform like most. There are a few small checks and cracks in the individual blocks that make up the full piece. I am planning on having this as a single cutting board, washing it will be a pain in my kitchen, but I'll be able to use a lot of the knives I use on line at home (270's etc.) Photo to come tomorrow morning.

i used some food safe gorilla wood glue on mine . Works fine so fare :)

Back