Quantcast
Sharpening while in dress shirt and tie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening while in dress shirt and tie

Sharpening while in dress shirt and tie

I just spent the latter half of my lunch hour fixing up the edge on my cleaver. My day work is in an office and I had a presentation this morning, so I'm wearing a shirt & tie today. However, I *do* have a cooking class tonight and I discovered a chip in the edge of my cleaver yesterday.

I didn't have time to hit the stones last night, so I had "no choice" but to bring a few stones in with me to fix things up. Rolled up my sleeves and just got to it.

Does sharpening while wearing a shirt and tie count as totally knutty or perfectly reasonable?

BTW, I'm not done yet. I'm going to finish things off with a higher-grit stone in the lab kitchen before class starts this evening
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Does sharpening while wearing a shirt and tie count as totally knutty or perfectly reasonable?

BTW, I'm not done yet. I'm going to finish things off with a higher-grit stone in the lab kitchen before class starts this evening
    Both depending on who you ask. For most of those here I think the last part is mandatory as well. Enjoy your class!
    - Sean

I am reminded of old pictures of carpenters and cabinet makers in shirt an tie with saws and hand planes in their hands. I guess it used to be normal, mabe we should start a new normal?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

No way would I show up to a class without my knife in tip-top shape. Seems more than reasonable to me. Excellent call!

I just watched a video the other day of Michael Rader in a Bladesport competition wearing a shirt and tie. So I think sharpening is okay. Class act.

Edit: I tried to embed the video queued up at the proper moment, but that has apparently failed. Jump to 4:40 in.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I just watched a video the other day of Michael Rader in a Bladesport competition wearing a shirt and tie. So I think sharpening is okay. Class act.

Edit: I tried to embed the video queued up at the proper moment, but that has apparently failed. Jump to 4:40 in.

That was fun to watch - Michael kicked some butt too.

Not bad, Michael, especially for using the wrong hand But wearing a tie is just wrong on principle. And they don't go well with Aloha shirts

Stefan

Is there a reason I can't view videos on my iPhone? I don't want to miss this!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

i like how mike jsut walked over al sliced the bottles all but without missing a step (i would love to see a few of these cutting comp blades )

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Is there a reason I can't view videos on my iPhone? I don't want to miss this!
    It is a flash video, and apple devices do not support it. Bummer.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig