Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Spices

Need Advice on Spices

I want to gift a friend a collection of spices. When I asked what spices he would like, he said spices that would enhance the taste of meats. He likes to marinate meats, and then to grill them on skewers, kebobs of sorts. I am not familiar with spices that going into marinade (I typically grill meat that just been seasoned).

Kind of at loss here, not sure what to buy. Any advice is appreciated.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Penzeys.com has some collections you might look at.

Can't go wrong with a variety of salts

Quote Originally Posted by 77kath View Post
    Penzeys.com has some collections you might look at.
    x2. They have some gift boxes with collections of individual spices. Plus they have a bunch of spice combos for rubs/ grilling that are pretty decent.

Another option is a collection of salts and/ or peppercorns from pepper-passion. We've been really happy with the S&Ps we purchased from them a while back. They have some interesting stuff.

EDIT: dang it Travis, you beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post

Another option is a collection of salts and/ or peppercorns from pepper-passion. We've been really happy with the S&Ps we purchased from them a while back. They have some interesting stuff.
    I have the black pepper sampler pack (added the new Penja as well). I also picked up Fleur de Sel, but they have a sample pack of salts as well. Very good quilaty and customer service.

Look at the spice house online. If your friend is up for grinding his own, whole spices last longer than pre ground, and allow him to make his own mixes, and roast the spices prior to grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Look at the spice house online. If your friend is up for grinding his own, whole spices last longer than pre ground, and allow him to make his own mixes, and roast the spices prior to grinding.
    Cool, I will check all the sources. Thank you and keep 'em advice coming.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

A salt block would be nice. As well as flavored salts. Various paprikas are really nice and add color.

+1 on the maldon. They also make maldons in pink from murray river and black from hawaii which are very cool. I love crunchy salt. It's so amazing!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller