Quantcast
Need Advice on Spices - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Spices

+1 to all of the above. Also, common spices for meat in India are: cumin, coriander, cinnamon, mace, and cloves. (in descending order of frequency.)

Edit: Also, whole spices cannot be beat for flavor or shelf-life.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

... And if your friend happens to like Indian spice profiles, one of these round stainless spice containers you should get in every Indian store make a nice gift.

Stefan

I make a season salt with fresh lavender , rosemary, thyme , fennel , lemon peel,garlic and pepper. We sprinkle on a lot of different stuff going on and or coming off the grill. I'm due to make a batch this week and would be happy to send you some if you'd like Marko. Makes a great gift . I've yet to give it without a request for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    I make a season salt with fresh lavender , rosemary, thyme , fennel , lemon peel,garlic and pepper. We sprinkle on a lot of different stuff going on and or coming off the grill. I'm due to make a batch this week and would be happy to send you some if you'd like Marko. Makes a great gift . I've yet to give it without a request for more.
    Would love to see your process for this!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Juniper berries.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I know it is not a spice and sorry if going in this direction is not what you want, but you mentioned the grill so it got me thinking about smoking chips. Get a sampler package from Maine Grilling Woods of different wood chips for smoking on the grill, and they even write on the woods what they are best for -- though I don't follow what they say

I just used them tonight and smoked some lamb sausage. It was very good.

k.

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/bu...p-sampler.html
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

+1 on Penzeys. Used them for years--really nice spices.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    +1 on Penzeys. Used them for years--really nice spices.
    I also use penzeys a lot. Get the little jars though. I am in the process of converting my whole spice drawer to penzey's and dating the jars for freshness. I get all of the different cinnamons and most of the paparikas that Penzey's has to offer. I also buy bulk lavender flowers, citrus rinds, and sumac as I use them quite a bit (though this isn't through penzey's).

You could also get a smaller selection of spices from Penzey's for instance, the book Herbs and Spices, and a gift certificate for some more spices of their choosing. That would be a cool way of starting things off.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Lior's Blends are incredible

seriously check him out

http://laboiteny.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I also use penzeys a lot. Get the little jars though. I am in the process of converting my whole spice drawer to penzey's and dating the jars for freshness. ....

k.
    That's a good idea. The friend I was staying with until yesterday had spices he brought with him when he moved to Hawaii in 2001 and thought me a snob because I refused to use them... Well, looks like the guy I moved in with yesterday likes to eat fridge-cold spinach straight out of a can. How did I get here? I gotta connect with these slow food people again...

That said, I always found the Penzey products to be nice and fresh.

Stefan