Thread: How to make inner radii?

How to make inner radii?

I am wondering how to make smaller inner radii on knives. Specifically in the choil area and towards the end of western handles. Actually I guess I am trying to find out how to make an inside radius at all. I have a Grizzly grinder and that is about it. Should I get a dremel with sanding drums or use a drill press some how?

Thanks everyone,
    Mike

If you have a drill press already then go with sanding drums for that.

Most knifemakers use small wheel attachments on their grinders though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    If you have a drill press already then go with sanding drums for that.

Most knifemakers use small wheel attachments on their grinders though.
    +1

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Great, thanks. I don't really have that capital to get a new grinder right now, so I guess sanding drums it is.

I use a saber saw and half round files. Before heat treating, of course!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like to rip off a 3/8" thick section of a yellow j-flex belt and do it on the slack part of the grinder, then hand sand with sandpaper wrapped around a sharpie.

That's a good idea. Thanks.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog