Quantcast
Muddy polishing stone recommendation. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muddy polishing stone recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    It is better to ask Jon about it as every Jnat is different.

And finishing Jnats dont really have grits. You can ask what kind of finish dose it make ? How soft or muddy it is etc.
    very true... they all have roughly the same size silica in the kyoto region... however the way it sharpens will depend on stone density, other minerals, hardness, etc.

The King 800 does a great job in this area, and was one of Dave's favorite stones for single bevels. I've been using Maxim's new 800 for a while, and I believe it will become the new standard in synthetics for this application. It's not as muddy as a King, but it provides a very even finish and wears much more slowly. As previous posters have said, there's a whole range of naturals that will follow one of these 800's nicely.

What about not $200 options? Are there any in the $50-$80 range. I know it is a very limiting budget, but there has to be something out there that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    What about not $200 options? Are there any in the $50-$80 range. I know it is a very limiting budget, but there has to be something out there that will work.
    The King 800 mentioned above can me purchased from several retailers (including Dave) for less than 30$.

I'm wondering how the Chosera 800 would compare to the above?

Isn't 800 grit a little low for a finishing stone? Won't that ruin your 5k edge or whatever your highest grit stone is?

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    ... there's a whole range of naturals that will follow one of these 800's nicely.
    Not meant as a 'finisher' I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Bram View Post
    Not meant as a 'finisher' I think!
    Ah, well I guess I was asking about a sub $100 finishing stone for single bevels. Do they exist?

Maybe polisher means different things to different people. The infamous "Kitayama 8K Green Brick" meets your requirements. It's a polishing or finishing stone, Dave M has them nib for $71. http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst...p/kita8000.htm (Not sure if he can say that within the "rules" but I can - I think)

People smarter than I am love or hate this stone. For me it produces a mirror finish. I prefer the hazy or mist finish that I get from the Awasedo on SB. Google will provide more info.

PM inbound.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Thanks, that is closer to what I was interested in.